Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,474   Posts: 1,570,977   Online: 816

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

My Nikkor isn't stiff enough.

I have among others, a Nikkor-S 50mm f1.4. When focusing, the focusing ring turns too easily, and wobbles ever so slightly. It's not something that affects the usability, but it is highly annoying. How do I fix something like this?
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The focus helicoid needs some damping grease. Not difficult to do if you are familiar with taking lenses apart and reassembling them correctly.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Rough schematic of Nikor Non A.I. 50 1.4

I recall from years ago an old timer explained that the different metals with a special thin lube was what gave the focus mechanism its silky smooth but resistive motion. I also recall being told not to compare too closely the action of new (circa 1980) and older Nikon lenses.

I would dismantle the bugger and have a look to see if the lubricant has dried or to see if the set screw has loosened a bit over time. Once upon a time, I had a small jar of special "Lens-lube," given to me by the old timer. I'll have a look for it. Who knows what I might find in the search.

BTW, once you remove the first retaining ring ( a rubber ring on a plastic jar is my tool of choice), the rest is gravy.

Let us know what you find.
    Last edited by Thomas Wilson; 03-18-2010 at 08:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    I also recall being told not to compare too closely the action of new (circa 1980) and older Nikon lenses.
    Please clarify.

Thx for the diagram.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It could be worse - you could have the same insufficient stiffness problem, but not with your Nikkor.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had the same problem many years ago with the same lens. IIRC I used an ultrafine screwdriver to slightly tighten; I think 3 screws, on the outside of the focussing ring
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    We're going back a few years, but if I recall, the older (1960 vintage) Nikkors were never as tight or stiff as the modern (1980 vintage) Nikkors. I had the 50 1.4 & the 105 2.5 in both vintages. I bought the A.I. versions precisely for their tighter feel.

It's certainly possible that the older lenses were once as tight (when new) but I never had the opportunity to compare two new lenses side by side.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Do you have a diagram for the older Nikkors 1.4 as well (the original Nippon-Kogaku that launched with the F)?

Would a CLD fix this problem as well?
    www.EASmithV.com

RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dougjgreen View Post
    It could be worse - you could have the same insufficient stiffness problem, but not with your Nikkor.

www.EASmithV.com

RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the opposite problem, my 55mm Micro is too stiff........make of that what you will.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin