Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,534   Posts: 1,544,025   Online: 1120

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

need some tips for building a LF camera

Hey everyone,

I just got a about 200 pieces of weather treated mahogany. About 8.5x3.25x0.75 inches and I really want to make a nice field camera out of some of them.

I have been thinking of making a camera for some time and now that I have some nice wood I am ready to jump on it.

I already have a few large format lenses for 4X5 format.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start? (I would like it to be able to fold for easy travel)

Any help is much appreciated!!

Thanks a bunch
    Jenny

Shooter
    35mm
    You did not say what tools do you have access to and what experience you have using them. While building a camera can be done with basic tools, it may take quite a bit of time. I am in the process of designing a field camera and I will be making the plans available for free when it's completed, but that is at least a couple of months away. There are other plans available on the net that you could find now, but since I have not tried them I cannot recommend any one of them in particular.

I have to say though, a folding camera is a lot more complicated to make then a monorail, so you may want to take that into account.
    Sorin

__________________________________________________ __________________________________
    Frugal Sorin Blog - Last article : light proof material (for darkroom, changing bag, focusing cloth,etc)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There are several DIY plans on the internet and most of the good ones have been mentioned in this forum so I would suggest start with a search here then branch out with google. That said I've never built one but may get to it some day.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If I were to do this, the very first thing I would do is buy a beat-up crown graphic or poco or such and take it apart. I bought an old kodak somethingorother for $50 or so and did this and learned a lot.

I really like the basic, light ~1902 poco field design and if I were to make a camera I'd base it on that; if you wanted to add more movements you could do that but I think step one is to make a solid "box" and figure out how to make it stable.

Mind you, I am not dissing the plans online and so forth, I just think that you can cannibalize some useful joints and rails and ideas from the older field cameras... and probably fall in love with those cameras while you do it. The craftsmanship was extraordinary.... needless to say since I am still happily using these 100+ yr old cameras and I am not exactly gentle with my gear.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Have a look here: http://www.raymentkirbycameras.co.uk/ especially the 'workshop' section.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    And then there is always... What's the worst that could happen? You make a bunch of fire wood.

The idea of getting a beat up old something-or-other is probably sound advice.

I'd still probably find some plans for a monorail and dive in and start making firewood.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
    I'd still probably find some plans for a monorail and dive in and start making firewood.
    I would say if you don't want a monorail, don't make one. Go straight to the style you want.

When I first thought about making an acoustic guitar, plenty of people told me to make a simple spanish model first, but that was not what I wanted. Instead I got the plans for a Selmer Model Jazz and made one.

(one of these: http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbas...2/0/273220.jpg ).

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Oh yes, I have some CAD drawings inspired by the design in Rayment Kirby's site. Send me a PM if you want them.

Steve.

I agree with Steve. No point in making something that you don't really want. Having said that , if you really know what you want you are lucky!

Great guitar Steve, you did a very nice job.

Alan Clark

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanC View Post
    Great guitar Steve, you did a very nice job.
    Actually, that wasn't the one I made, it was just a representation of the style!!

I did post a picture of mine once. I will see if I can find it.

Steve.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin