Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,694   Online: 1152

Shooter
    Medium Format

Help with Mamiya c220 re: focusing screen

So what began as a small run in the edge of the ground glass on my c220 has suddenly become a full blown crack. The pieces are still secure in the frame, and i think that it is still reliable for focusing, but i'd really like to get it replaced.

I've looked around for info/replacement screens to no avail. I've tried the flea-Bay, KEH, google and all i've found are c330 screens (which were apparently meant to be interchangeable) and some fancy ones (forget the company name) that are selling for like $250. I've thought about finding another c220 and stealing the screen, but then i'd just be left with another busted camera.

Anybody have any experience with this? Could i use a glass meant for the c330? Could i get a piece of glass custom made? Where? Should i wait for a "for parts' c220 on the 'bay? Needless to say, i'd like to do this as quickly, cheaply, and simply as possible.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Contact Mamiya directly. They still carry some C2XX and C3XX parts.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG.

As Steve says get a proper replacement from Mamiya, it needs to be the correct thickness etc. While it is most probably the same as a C330 Mamiya will know, put the wrong screen in and the focus will be off/compromised.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    C220 screens are not easily replaceable. They need to be shimmed to ensure correct focus.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Matt from memory of removing & cleaning the screns etc on my C3 & C33 I think they were all individually shimmed, so replacement isn't simple.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For clarity, the C330 screens are designed to be user interchangeable, so replacement of them is simple.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    For clarity, the C330 screens are designed to be user interchangeable, so replacement of them is simple.

Matt
    That's true Matt, but the focusing screens on the C33 and C220 were never intended to be user replaceable.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    As for the C220, it depends on which version you have. If you have got a C220 F, the screen is easy to replace. I've seen photos and descriptions somewhere on the 'net for how-to fix the foam and shimming issues with the original C220, but I can't remember where right now.

EDIT: Sorry, looked around and found out that the DIY guide I was thinking of was for a C330f: http://photo.net/medium-format-photo...00N8kt?start=0
    Last edited by Jerevan; 10-05-2010 at 11:41 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't see it as a problem if you are going to DIY. You should be able to use any GG or screen as long as you shim it to agree with the film plane focus.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin