Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,713   Online: 1278

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Jon--

Well it is what it is--you have to do what you feel best and I will not second guess you. I would gladly pay $20+ for your generic kit, I know it has saved me hundreds. I hope you consider selling on a generic on APUG. Last weekend the darkslide light seal on one of my Mamiya 645 Super film backs started leaking ruining 3 rolls of film. I pulled out the left overs from your generic kit and cobbed up a new seal and all is well!! So please consider APUG---hey I never said i wouldn't beg

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There is always Google checkout. You could sell directly from a website, but then you will need to figure in the about $120 for hosting and $35 or so a year for the name. You could also consider a Yahoo store, not sure what they cost but I think the hosting, site design, and shopping cart/money processing are all included.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm a big fan of Jon Goodman and his light seals. Many of my cams would not be operative without him.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a couple of Nikon F bodies. My mentor suggested always using a couple of pieces of black tape over the sides where the back joins the body. On mine, the commonplace modification was made for accommodating the MD5 motor drive. That resulted in the corners of the back being broken off. This made the light leaks worse.

If you can't install a good light seal kit immediately, do know that black tape will keep your camera functional for a while. Tape is not convenient, but is better than light leaks on your film.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Goodman View Post
    First of all, a giant thanks to everybody for the support, the kind and complimentary words and Mike...for spelling my name as Godman...well, I usually keep a $50 bill handy for situations like this, but the new world economy hasn't been so good lately. Fact is, for the past few years I've been busier than a one-legged man in a sack race.

Some of you have asked me about the disappearance of the general light seal kits from the E-Bay auctions. Please let me keep this as short and antiseptic as possible: about 18 months ago a seller on E-Bay began buying my kits, cutting them into pre-cut kits and presenting the instructions I have written as accompaniments to his kits. When I refused to sell any more kits to him, he began having shills buy the kits and send them to him. When I refused to sell to his shills, he became agitated, sent some threats and then vanished for several months. Now he has re-appeared, and he is doing the same thing. Here are a few more facts for you: in 18 months he has operated under 5 different E-Bay IDs. One of them was nterslice. This person simply removed the first "i" from my ID. More recently, he began using the account of one of his shills who last lived in Las Vegas (darolb) but the ID was altered recently to camerasealkitsandmore. He claims to be out of Eugene, Oregon, but that is not true. He is out of Flagstaff, Arizona. He does not reveal his name to the buyers of his kits. That in itself would be a large red flag if I was a buyer. He has copied the bamboo tool I designed many years ago and he continues to point buyers to my instruction page (on the Classic Camera Repair Forum).

This whole project...the 10 year span of it has been a complex set of risks. Most have been financial, some more personal, but all of them have been assumed by me. Not one bit of this fell out of the sky. Not the specialty foam, not the specialty tools, cutters, tables I designed and built, not the instructions I've written, not a bit of it landed in my lap.

On the positive side of the ledger, I'll be making as many pre-cut kits as possible. As many as time permits, that is. The cutters, templates, dies all require time to make. The waste will be less. It will be easier and quicker...All seal pieces will be carefully checked with actual cameras whenever possible. If you have a camera you want me to consider, please contact me by email and we can discuss it.

Thanks again!
    Jon
    Hi Jon,

I purchased one of your generic kits several years ago and have been using it to replace foam seals in 10+ Nikon, 2 Olympus, 3 Mamiya, and random other cameras. I am very happy with your kits and will continue to buy the kit ONLY from you. The ebay hack who doesn't have the creative chops to come up with his own stuff will never get a dime of my business.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

aaargh...

Finally found this thread; have been reading about interslice and their generic kits; have been looking on ebay for one.

I had been thinking about getting a kit; I have an old Olympus Trip 35 that takes so little foam it is a joke; but I have some older medium format gear and some 35mm that might need re-sealing.

Oh well - off to the local craft supply store! Too bad about the ebay shills- I'm sorry to hear that people like that continue to exist.

JohnS.

Shooter
    35mm
    I know this is an old thread and I have no idea of what the current status is for John, but I don't understand the problem. John ran into competition. He stopped selling to people at the price he had set for his product. And he's blaming the competition for poor sales? John needed/needs if still going, to not deny anyone from buying his product at the price set as this is very bad business. If he wanted to distinguish his business from others, he needed to trademark the items he sells and label/stamp items accordingly and provide certifications to customers that they are buying from who they think they are. Aside from this, patents and trademarks needed to be filed and a lawyer hired to protect his interests against anyone violating these interests.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jon's kits are still the best thing going! And I don't think he is very bothered by the competition. From what I have seen of the competition's product, Jon has nothing to worry about.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bits View Post
    Jon's kits are still the best thing going! And I don't think he is very bothered by the competition. From what I have seen of the competition's product, Jon has nothing to worry about.
    Just resealed a Mamiya Nc1000S and have a Yashica MG-1 to do, been using Jon,s kits since 2008. Always great service and material, I am just a happy customer

David
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin