Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,731   Online: 789

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images

Need to replace light seals in Nikon

Well, we took in about 5 rolls of film that my daughter and I took using her Nikon EM. Horrible light leaks. Took a look (yes I should have took a look before we shot 5 rolls of film) and it is missing half of its light seals. She unfortunately will not be able to take her Alaska trip as she got a part with the Rimrock Opera Company's one acts this summer but is planning on a New York trip this fall (we'll see if that one happens!) so she'd like it fixed by then. I found intstructions online and new seals are not that much so we are going to try it ourselves. Is there anything in particular we should look for or try and avoid while doing this?? Also anyone you would/would not order the new seal kit from?

When I got into photography I wasn't planning on becoming a camera repair person but it is sort of fun! Thanks in advance for any advice.

Lori

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Try ebay: interslice, they have a good kit, start with ebay # 120442942190 and ask the seller if he has a special kit for your EM.
    He has a lot more kits, but not everything is listed on ebay.
    I got the big universal kit from him, have several camera's and backs to do, and it comes with a special tool to ease the job, so you can do it your self.

Be shure to clean all the old gue first, I use acetone and Q-tips for it and then replace the seals.
    Becarefull: the acetone attacs plastik's.

Peter

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Interslice on eBay is a great place to get a lightseal kit. I have gotten 2 form him. Look him up it is quality stuff and he includes a nice instruction book and he has more information at his website. I looked last night at his stuff, he didn't have any generic kits, so you might have to email him to see if he is going to list more generic kits. http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/sealreplacement.html and http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/inters...Q_fromZQQ_ipgZ

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Jon Goodman kits are the best, so if you haven't purchased the seals yet, get his.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    And if you can't wait, you can buy a product called "Foamies" at craft shops (99 cents a sheet) that will also do the trick. Get the 2mm version with self-adhesive. You can use a very thin screwdriver (from Radio Shack) to dig out the old stuff. You'll also need a straight edge and Xacto knife to cut the new material.

One sheet will let you refoam about 50 cameras.

Don't forget to replace the foam for the mirror.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks so much for the advice everyone! Have a great night. We are getting ready for the 4th celebration here in Montana. Our little town puts on the biggest display of fireworks in the state every year. They last about an hour and this year is supposed to be really big as it is the 100 year celebration of our towns volunteer fire department (they put on the fireworks every year). Lori

GJA
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    For a really fast and easy short term solution, simply use electrical tape to cover the window. One or two layers should do the trick most of the time!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Jon will get the kits turned out quickly, I wouldn't worry about the 3 or 4 days it takes to get his kits. He has some of the best materials that can be found, especially if you need to replace a bunch of flocking to kill reflections.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jon Godman is the go to guy.A #1 product.
    When you order your kit ask Jon if he has specific instruction for the EM.Take your time and avoid getting any gunk on the mirror or focusing screen.I've resealed 12 cameras using Mr. Goodman's kits.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'll second the DIY route with adhesive backed foam cut with an exacto knife. But I'll admit that until I get sitting down to do it properly, I also use electrical tape over the door, especially the hinge.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin