Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,601   Online: 959

Shooter
    35mm RF

Ken Ruth of Bald Mountain and S.K. Grimes for custom work

I talkin with both Ken Ruth and S.R. Grimes about converting my Contarex 21m Biogon to a Leica M-mount and a 250/4 pre-set Sonnar to EOS mount.

Any one had any work done by these shops? DAG was in consideration for the Biogon conversion but just can not take any new projects now.

Cheers and jeers about them welcome as well as other suggestions.
    Last edited by johnastovall; 07-22-2009 at 01:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had Ken Ruth work on my Rollei a number of years ago. Back then, he had a very long wait-list. (That was OK. I knew about it in advance.) The work was fine, and he was pleasant to deal with. I'd definitely check on the wait-list, though.

Back when the wonderful Mr. Grimes was alive, I had him do a number of jobs. His works was first-rate, and he did the work quickly. I haven't heard much about how the shop is these days.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    both ken ruth and adam at sk grimes do great work!
    i don't think you will have any trouble with either of them ...

good luck!
    john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Both of them have done excellent work for me, I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

Richard Wasserman

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I had a fairly extensive compound shutter and lens remount done recently by Grimes, requiring some custom work. They did an excellent job.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ken Ruth did a lovely job rebuilding my Ermanox.

I would concur with the positive states regarding the current owners of SK Grimes. They do indeed do first rate modifications and installations. However, please be aware that, IMO, they are expensive for the work that they perform. If you can get another estimate then I recommend doing so in order to compare prices. Realize that Mr. Ritter also does LF modification and repair work, and a number of other individuals can do shutter repairs. Best of luck to you.

Ed

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    SK Grimes is expensive in terms of the functionality of what they build, but the quality of design and finishing that they do is also a cut above many other custom fabricators. There are a number of shops that can make custom lens flanges, for instance, but the SKG flange will probably be lighter in weight and more elegant.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I haven't had anything done by the SK Grimes folks, but I have had Ken Ruth rebuild an Ikonta and a couple of Kodak Panorams and his work was outstanding.

EuGene

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin