Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,766   Posts: 1,516,433   Online: 937

Shooter
    Medium Format

Stuck focus on Viking

I recently purchased an Ansco Viking at a flea market that looks to be in very good condition, the shutter works and the camera is complete. The only problem is that the focus ring is frozen at the infinity setting. Any input on fixing this issue would be appreciated

Thanks

Jeremiah
    looking for the battery cover for a early model Canonet QL 17, the round screw in kind.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If it's front element focus, You can usually get to the helical without taking the lens apart.
    Put a tiny drop of penetrating oil into the helical & let it work. Once it loosens disassemble it & clean the old rocklike lube out & relube it. It takes a very small amount of lube for the focus too.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I should mention that I've never worked on a camera before but this one seemed simple enough that it would be a good place to start. It was suggested that I try placing a small drop of lighter fluid at the junction of the lense focus ring and the front of the lens body. I tried applying lighter fluid with a small paint brush to no avail. I've now been told that I should apply heat with a soldering iron.

Any thoughts or input before I take a soldering iron to a camera?

Thanks

Jeremiah
    looking for the battery cover for a early model Canonet QL 17, the round screw in kind.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Not advisable !

You will create heat-tension to the glass of your lens.

Some camera's, like the Leica's have an infinity-focus-lock: a pin that you have to push in in order to be able to focus.
    If this camera has not such a lock some penetrating oil can help, but remove the front ring first !
    The front ring is helt into place with 3 tiny screws.
    After the penetrating oil has done it's work you should be able to remove the lens part, use a pair of suitable pliers if nec.

Clean and relube.

Next is to set-up proper focus again: put of ground glass in the film gate, open the shutter at the B-setting and focus at infinity and than replace the ring with the 3 tiny screws. Recheck.

Good luck !

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you all! I got the lens apart, cleaned, put back together and I'm off to shoot a test roll at my favorite locales.

Jeremiah

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin