Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,498   Posts: 1,543,115   Online: 1029

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Talk to Photal first, if they come up with the same story as in the UK give me a PM and I can see what I can do.
    I have been into reapairs (and electronics) for the past 30 years.

London is not that far away from The Hague I think.

Peter

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Having worked up the courage to remove the screws that hold the main assembly of the shutter and removed that to reveal the two blades, it is now obviuos that the problem is that there is too much friction on the blades for them to be 'thrown' the whole of their travel and to their home position. I have cleaned the blades with I.P.A and am wondering what is best to use to lightly lubricate the edges of the blades?

Rub some graphite powder sparingly on the edges?

"I'LL FIX THIS SHUTTER EVEN IF IT KILLS ME"!!!!!!!

Cheers Dave

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Use a Q-tip (cotton swap on a stick) and rub the edge of the blade with graphite.

Blow off any exess graphite and see how it works.
    Otherwise send me a PM, I can miss a thread when I am not watching.

Good luck !
    Peter

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Will do Peter, Thanks for your tip.

Cheers Dave

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I had once a lens that had its leaf shutter sticky. I dismantled the shutter and cleaned each blades with methanol and remounted its without touching with fingers to avoid leaving any trace of any substance. Shutter now work like a charm. I would avoid to use any lighter fluid as it get sticky when drying. Methanol is a much nicer solvent.

As a dry lubricant, graphite might be nice. However, I just cleaned another lens with a lot of particles on the glass surfaces surrounding the shutter blades. I don't really know if those particles are coming from the abrasion of the blades under friction or from usage of dry lubricant like graphite.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin