Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,563   Posts: 1,545,296   Online: 776

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Lubricating a shutter?

Hi All, You may have seen in other threads that I have a Sinar electronic behind the lens shutter that is intermitent.

Sometimes it works fine at all speeds without any problems, it manually opens and closes using the slide switch to focus etc. The iris control also works fine.

Occasionally a blade (two rotary type) will stick and if it jams it will blow the 1.25A slow blow fuse in the battery box ..I've blown about 20

The more I play with the shutter the more convinced I am that a little lubrication on the circumference of the blades will cure the problem...Here comes the question.......What type of grease/graphite/other should be applied and is it easily available?

Any offers of help appreciated....Cheers Dave

ps If I get it working reliably I promise to shut up about this shutter:rolleyes:

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Shutterblades should never be lubricated !

Go to www.image2output-support.com/sinar/ and download all the manuals you need for your Sinar.
    After reading it you should be able to solve your problem.

Peter

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Peter, I downloaded and printed out the link above some time ago but it doesn't contain any maintance about the electronic shutter. It's mainly for the copal shutter, a bit about the battery pack and a bit about the Expolux (a different beast) whoever it does mention lightly lubricating the channel the rotary blades rotate in. It also mentions a blade upgrade for the electronic version...BUT Sinar no longer support the electronic version and Sinar in Switzerland didn't even reply to an email!

Cheers Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Blown fuses are generally caused by an intermittant short. The only other possibility, could be a sticking solenoid, which could cause overheating of the circuit. In my early years, I used a 70mm rollfilm camera for portraits, and the shutter solenoid would occasionally stick. It caused me a lot of grief until I figured out that was the problem. Test the solenoid first, if that isnt the problem then check for shorts.
    Rick

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have noticed that both activating solenoids give a little spark as they operate but the jamming is <0.1% of the operations.

Cheers Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Dave,
    Are they solenoids or relays of some sort? I ask because I've never seen a sparking solenoid. Is it closing a contact external to the solenoid?
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    I know shutters aren't supposed to be lubricated, but I've had luck on old gummy ones by hosing them off with zippo lighter fluid. The fluid evaporates leaving behind only the slightest lubricating layer. I started doing this with my 10/22 triggers because any other fluid makes them gum up and no lubricant at all makes them feel harsh. I fixed a nonworking Isolette shutter just by giving it a lighter fluid bath; it's still working.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    Hi Dave,
    Are they solenoids or relays of some sort? I ask because I've never seen a sparking solenoid. Is it closing a contact external to the solenoid?
    Well unless I'm mistaken...A relay operates to activate contacts whilst a solenoid moves a cam or rod. As it releases the blades from the their home position, they are solenoids.

Cheers Dave

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    If those solenoids are sticking: clean them with lighter fluid.
    Blown fuses are a sign of an overload or (temporairy short) somewhere in the circuit.
    Sparks over the contacts is a sign of trouble, I would have to see that myself.

Is there a Sinar Service point in the UK ?
    Otherwise you could contact the Dutch Sinar rep.
    They speak english and hekp you further.

I am still in Brazil, back in Holland early September for at least 3 month.

Peter

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Peter, Yes there is a service department in the UK but I'm told they would send the shutter to Switzerland for a minimum set fee and I would prefer to fix it myself or have it done locally if I can (I did take it to a repairer in London who had it for a month and then said he couldn't do anything with it...He didn't even realise he had blown the fuse!)

Cheers Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin