Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,551   Posts: 1,573,096   Online: 783

Shooter
    35mm

Where to buy/scrounge a small converging lens?

I need a simple 20-25mm diameter (slightly larger can work if it's plastic) lens with a 40-50mm focal length. It's for a lightmeter I'm building. I'm just having a hard time finding anywhere online or in the real world where I can buy such a simple lens element.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Did you try www.surplusshed.com ? They appear to have several.

Go to the categories menu on the left of their main page and select the lens finder.

Shooter
    35mm
    No, I'll try it out. Allelectronics has several but not the right ones.

edit: Wow, they have every sort of lens.
    Last edited by BetterSense; 08-15-2009 at 05:48 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    How about lens/viewfinder from a disposable camera or a box camera, it is a bit smaller bit might work. If a complete lens block is ok for you then those 40/2.8 objectives/viewfinder on cheap 70s compact might work too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try an optician that makes their own spectacles. Some of them have a little 'factory' on the premises. See if they will let you have a lens blank. These are about 40cm diameter. You'll need a 20 dioptre convex lens with no prism or cylinder.
    Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm sure I have one somewhere. If you can't get one locally, let me know by PM and I will post one to you.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Suplusshed had exactly what I was looking for. I was able to buy several 20mm diameter, 50mm focal length DCX lenses and a 20mm diameter, 17 mm focal length, for $4 each.
    f/22 and be there.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin