Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,710   Posts: 1,548,634   Online: 1110

Shooter
    35mm

Canon EOS-5 problems...

Hi everyone - hope this is in the right place...

A couple of weeks ago, my EOS-5 developed a fault. Worked perfectle one day, ran maybe 3 rolls of film through without a hiccup. Next day, checking camera before another day's shooting, when switched on, the camera showed the flashing empty battery symbol. Assuming i'd left the camera switched on and flattened the battery I removed the 2cr5 and replaced with a sealed new example. Same problem. Took out multimeter and "old" battery was 6.1v, new one 6.22v - both well within spec. Resorted to the manual, to find that the battery flashing was a sort of catch-all error message - one of those "we don't know what's wrong with it, so send it to our service centre along with one arm and one leg (non-returnable) and we'll tell you it's broken" errors. After checking the EOS Documentation project website (among others) the only recomendation they had was to remove the battery for a week and see if it reset itself. I checked thes morning (after 2 weeks) and it's still doing the battery-flash-boogie! Anyone got any ideas, or even a source of the service manuals for this camera I could d/l and have a look at? I've managed to effect one solution - bought a replacement EOS-3 body - but would like to get the EOS-5 working if I could.

Obviously, the nice people at Canon would be happy to have a look at it, but even the shipping costs of sending it away would be prohibitive on a £30 from fleabay camera body. It just goes against the grain to chuck it away, when it could just be a loose connection somewhere.

Sorry to be cheeky, and make my first real post a request for help, hopefully i'll be able to put a little back into the community somewhere along the line

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Not sure if you've already done this, but it is possible that the battery contacts in the camera just need some cleaning. If that doesn't work, then I'd advise sending it into Canon for a checkup.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by photokalia View Post
    Not sure if you've already done this, but it is possible that the battery contacts in the camera just need some cleaning. If that doesn't work, then I'd advise sending it into Canon for a checkup.
    Battery contacts were first thing I checked, after ensuring the power cells themselves were okay - sadly no joy there. As far as sending it to canon, it's a £20 ebay purchased body - it'd cost more than that to ship it to them, never mind what they'd be charging to look at it! I'm definitely looking at a low/no cost solution here, or it's bound for the skip.

Shooter
    35mm
    3 longshots. 1. Is there a Canon owners club like the Nikonians? Someone there might have an idea. 2. Are there any camera clubs in your locality? There might be some Canon users. 3. Is there a secondhand camera shop nearby? They might be willing to check out "the obvious" faults on the spot for nothing or at least tell you the bad news about a repair charge.

pentaxuser

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin