Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,912   Online: 1044

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

OM-2n overexposing

My OM-2n (which has been very happy for the last six months or so after CLA) just developed a new problem: it overexposes every shot with about 1.5 stops. I checked all the obvious and have the feeling I'm missing something very easy/stupid....

-Batteries are 4 months old and give 3.1V, battery terminals OK
    -Lightmeter of om-2n is completely the same as my handheld calibrated meter (in both auto-mode and manual-mode).
    -Overexposure happens both with open and closed aperture (same density for zone V exposure @ f/1.4-1/1000 or f/22-1/4). it happens with all my 3 zuiko lenses.
    -Happened on 3 different brands of film in 2 different types of developer
    -Developed a roll of APX-100 from my om-2n together with a roll of APX-100 from my canonet-28 in 1 tank: roll from canonet was perfect, from om-2n overexposed by about 1.5 stops.
    -No exposure compensations set.
    -No difference between auto-mode and manual-mode. In auto-mode a long exposure (5 seconds or so) gives exactly the same overexposure.

What am I missing???

Shooter
    35mm
    You say the lightmeter of the OM2n is the same as a handheld meter. If it's overexposing even in manual mode, the only conclusion I can come to is the shutter is sticking or staying open too long. Do you have a shutter speed tester?
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    the only conclusion I can come to is the shutter is sticking or staying open too long.
    Or it's a bit slow stopping down the aperture blades.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by DutchShooter View Post
    it happens with all my 3 zuiko lenses.
    Possibly not then!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Are these B&W films? I'll guess that as you mention using different developers. Overexposure would have to be determined by running all the films through a densitometer to read dmax and dmin. A "perfect" exposure may be off but one that you are used to printing with. Your other cameras may be underexposing. Usually viewfinder indication is adjusted independently of actual exposure. They should match but in this case who knows. I seriously doubt manual speeds are off 1.5 stops consistently. Oily magnet will cause over-exposure but it is usually very erratic and unpredictable. Oily magnet would affect auto too, but would be just as erratic. Alkaline batteries (A76 and LR44) are the wrong type for the 2/2N and can cause meter needle errors of 2 stops or more. In this case, auto can be correct, but shutter lockup may result. Alkaline and lithium batteries (also wrong) came out after the camera was designed. 2/2N was designed around silver oxide 1.55v batteries (357, SR44W, G-13, MS76, KS76, 303) and are the only ones that should be used. John, www.zuiko.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi BetterSense. I tried testing the shutter with the TV-method. I found it hard to diagnose, they looked more-or-less ok, but it's hard to see precisely...

John, thanks for the informative reply! During the last CLA, oily magnets were cleaned (I had a problem with a way too long shutter time on the first exposure of the day back then).
    I use APX-100 in rodinal 1+50 for all my cameras since a month or 2. At first all cameras were giving OK exposure (my notes of 6 weeks ago when I did some testing say: Zone I = 0.25 (base+fog=0.15), zone V = 0.75, zone VIII = 1.35, zone X = 2.05), but since 2 weeks only the OM-2n gives overexposure (all zones give a higher density), even though I kept using the same film/dev-combination...I just tried two other types of film and another developer to be sure that that was not the problem.
    I just bought some fresh silver oxide cells today (v76px, same as the old cells). Even though the old cells are relatively new (4-5 months), their expiry date was sep/2009 and I used the camera quite intensely (about 3 rolls/week). New cells have expiry date nov/2011. I will test the camera tomorrow (I won't look at the exposure needle for now, just put in the aperture/shutter speed I read from my light meter).

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It should be simple to spot 1.5 stop over exposure by ear if it's a shutter problem. Just take a shot where metering needle indicates 1s. Difference between 1s and 3s is easy hear.

Shooter
    35mm
    I just tried with the new batteries a test shot on an indoor wall which needed an 1 second exposure wide open (zone V). It really sounded like 1 second, so time seems ok. As the shot was wide open, if the negative is still overexposed, it must be my development...I guess.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My first choice for checking exposure would be through the use of reversal film where any gross over- or under-exposure will be patently obvious and immediately negates post-exposure (processing) errors. Negative film has a lot more latitude than reversal and this is where judgement of over- under-exposure can be prejudiced.

As you have repeated tests using all the Zuiko lenses you have, a good idea would be to run a test on a lens you do not have (loan one, if possible) i.e. a Sigma or another, different Zuiko. If the tests return the same fault, the shutter curtain (already a suspect given the age of the camera) and the TTL meter need to be examined. I wouldn't leave it to guesswork especially if at some stage you have an unexpected, important assignment, but to nail the problem run a roll of reversal film through it and beside normal exposure, key in N (normal exposure), +0.5 and +1.0 stop, then N, -0.5, -1.0. Errors from these settings will be quite alarming on reversal film (given its characteristic narrow latitude).
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    35mm
    Checked my negs and they are perfect again. Zone I density 0.12 above fog, Zone V 0.74, zone VIII at 1.36, and zone X at 2.03.
    After my regular rest-wall, I also made some photo's of some real-life scene again (the kids): they also look normal again
    So the batteries were at fault probably!

Thanks all for your help!

Shooter
    35mm
    PS, out of curiosity, I shot until zone XV. Up till zone XII, there were measurable density changes, from zone XII-XV the density change is about 0.1 (for APX-100 in rodinal 1+50)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin