Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,332   Online: 1026

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

How do I build a recessed lensboard?

I build lensboards out of cardboard for my cameras all the time, but I've never made a recessed lensboard, and I need one to use my 152mm Ektar on my 8x10. Do any of you have any easy tricks you know to make this easier?
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You could use foam plates and stack rings of declining diameter, or built a tube, again using foam plates.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Poster tube, or PVC conduit with some 2 part epoxy to glue to flat panel..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Anything goes. I used 4mm plywood to build a recessed board and it worked just fine.
    On the downside, compared to cardboard, you need a saw to cut it, but not very much more (just some glue), but on the upside it is more stable than cardboard and it stays in shape even if it gets wet.
    You just cut the board so it fits the camera, cut out a square (or circle if you prefer that) and build a box behind it and glue to the back of the front board.
    Make sure the hole in the front is big enough compared to the picture angle (and you have yourself a built in shade as well).

As I said, anything goes and good luck.

Shooter
    Large Format
    hobby stores usually sell basswood for model makers ...
    you make a box with an edge ..
    miter cut the edges and glue the sides together, and
    then drill the (lens)hole in the middle.
    paint it black and you are good to go ...
    it won't take very long to make.
    basswood is very strong ..
    and if you feel you need it stronger,
    cross the grain, double up on it ...
    have fun!
    john
    Last edited by jnanian; 08-29-2009 at 11:57 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I hope I'm not stating the obvious here but the 152mm Ektar is a great lens but it won't cover 8x10... maybe not quite 5x7. Are you using a reduction back? If so then this is perfectly practical.

You can make a recessed lens board by adding a metal cone (perhaps from an old enlarger) to a flat board... assuming your boards are large enough to allow this. Just make sure it's large enough to get your fingers into so you can adjust the lens and small enough to clear the front standard's opening and allow for movements.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The one I built was for a Angulon 90/6,8 that covers even less.
    When I did that, 8x10 was the smallest LF-camera I had and of course it didn't cover anything close to that, but I still needed to use the lens (I wanted a single coated wide angle lens for a picture).
    As long as you know what you get it can still be useful. If it helps you can cut ot the format you want from cardboard (panorama, square etc) and limit the image on the ground glass with this. Some negative area will of course be wasted.
    All a matter of the way you prefer to work, but Mike1234 is right, don't expect an 8x10 image from this lens.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    If you have access to a drill press, a hole-saw or one of these are useful.

Harbor Freight sells hole-saw sets for a very small amount, however if you buy a circle cutter, spend money on a quality tool.

Eli

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin