Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,670   Posts: 1,481,776   Online: 1038

Shooter
    Medium Format

First surface mirror sources

Hi Folks,
    The mirror on my bronica is in a right state, its covered in gunk which seems to come from the deteriating light seals that the mirror flips up onto. In parts it looks like the silvering has been worn away. Does anyone know where I can get either a replacement mirror, or a piece of first surface mirror that I can then cut to shape? Will a polaroid mirror be big enough for a bronica sq?
    Cheers,
    Alex.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi-- you might try Edmund Scientific. They carry some odds and ends in optical supplies.
    Rick

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I would replace the mirror with a new one from Bronica as the thickness of the glass of the mirror will have an effect on your focussing.
    Replacing the seals (Interslice) should be done at the same time, in that way your camera will be in tip-top shape for the years to come.

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Just get the mirror resilvered.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm
    If you can't buy a replacement from Bronica you could send your mirror to a recoating service. These guy do it all the time for telescope mirrors. I'll bet it doesn't cost as much as you would think. It might be a good experience you write up to help other folks that aren't luck enough to have a camera manufacturer that can or will supply a replacement. The replacement might even cost more than having it recoated.

If you try this, stay away from the mirror refinishers that work on vanity type mirrors.

You might get a quote from:

http://glasscoater.com/index.html

or

http://www.emf-corp.com/

Denis K

Shooter
    35mm
    I have had mirrors re-silvered by Vacuum Coatings (Scientific Mirrors) http://www.vacuumcoatings.co.uk/vacu...wtofindus.html

The quality of the work was very good and not expensive at about £15 to clean and re-silver two mirrors.
    The turn around time was about a month.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for all the replies, I think I'll try the link yellowcat posted. Im astounded: £15 for two mirrors, I'll get this sorted right away. Sorry for all the questions but where can I buy new light seals?

Thanks
    Alex

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    As I mentioned: Interslice on ebay, you probably have to send him a message as he does not have all his seals on ebay.
    I got an universal set some month ago that is good for many jobs.

Peter

Shooter
    35mm
    I'd suggest first trying to clean the existing mirror with denatured alcohol and lens tissue. Trying to replace the mirror may open a huge can of worms. John

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin