Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,766   Posts: 1,516,419   Online: 985

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Kodak 2D View Camera

I "won" what was billed as a 5x7 Kodak 2D View Camera on fleabay. What I received (and I'm not really complaining) was an 8x10 Kodak 2D with a 5x7 reducing back. It is in fair condition, the bellows will have to be replaced soon, but it is usable. I will need an 8x10 back. I have a basket case Ansco 8x10, but the back is a very loose fit on the 2D. Just wondering if I should attempt to make a new one or take my chances on finding one on the 'bay.
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Chances are... now you have the 5x7 back and the Ansco back as examples so why not make an 8x10 back if you have the basic tools. The hardest parts are the springs but you have until the end of the building of the back to find a pair. They might be a little easier to find than a complete back. Whatever you decide good luck with the camera, I have two, an 8x10 and a 5x7 Kodak 2D. I have the extension for the 5x7 but never found one for the 8x10. I actually like the solid feel of my 5x7.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I got the extension with my 8x10. It is a nice, solid camera. I just might try making my own back. I have a table saw, and a few other tools, so I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult. Just have to get around to doing it. I want to shoot film, not fix cameras, but if I'm going to keep using these old antiques ( I have a few Graflex SLR's and pre-Anny Speeds) I guess I'll have to keep working on them. It's fun, I shouldn't complain.
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have some 8x10 backs available but I think I only have one for the 2D and that one is attached to a camera. The others can be adapted. Let me know if you're interested in buying one. Of course, APUG gets its share.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Backs for these view cameras show up occasionally on ebay. I purchased a 4x5 back for my 8x10 this way. It came from a different 8x10 camera. I knew the chances of finding a 4x5 back for my poor camera was an absolute zero. So, I asked the sellers specific questions about the dimensions of the backs they were selling. Eventually I found one that appeared to be very close size-wise. When I received it, it didn't quite fit. I had to use a router on the corners, and now it works great. IMHO it's better to alter the accessory to fit your camera, and not to alter the camera too much.
    "Lo único de lo que el mundo no se cansará nunca es de exageración." Salvador Dalí

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have some really nice pieces of cherry lumber. I think I'll use them to make an 8x10 back. I really don't want to ruin the Ansco back for the other camera,I just might want to restore it after finishing this project.
    Michael Cienfuegos

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Michael,

If you are the sort of person who has both a table saw and cherry lumber, you probably know that hide glue is easily reversible; you could trim the Ansco back to get a clean surface, and then glue on shims for a close fit to the Kodak. If and when you want to restore the Ansco, you would be in a position to re-trim (or replace) the shims for a perfect fit on that camera. The tricky part of making a back is getting the plane of the ground glass in just the right place; it can be done with a router (or even a table saw) but it isn't exactly trivial.

Just a thought...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Greybeard,

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I will do just that. Hopefully I will have something to show for my efforts in a few weeks.
    Michael Cienfuegos

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Michael,

You're welcome...

If cost is not a major issue, you might look at the ad over in the LF Info forum; Eddie Gunks was offering a 2D back for sale as of yesterday.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    Michael,

You're welcome...

If cost is not a major issue, you might look at the ad over in the LF Info forum; Eddie Gunks was offering a 2D back for sale as of yesterday.
    I saw that last night, but I have spent so much money on other things that I just can't afford it right now. I finally scored a Graflok back for my Anniversary 2x3 Speed. I want to try my hand at making my own back and see how it looks.
    Michael Cienfuegos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin