Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,008   Posts: 1,524,581   Online: 976

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

A problem with battery drain

I've got a Nikon Super Zoom-8, which is a pretty nice little super-8 camera, but mine suffers from a rather annoying issue. It takes four AA batteries, which last around an hour before they're dead. This is without any use on my part, there's no sort of on/off switch with this camera, but I leave it in the locked position when it's not in use (not sure if that makes any difference, but it's worth a shot) and when I grab it again the batteries are flat. I'm forced to take the batteries out whenever there's a break in shooting, which is both inconvenient and a little silly.

Does anyone have any ideas what would cause four AA batteries to be exhausted in such a short time? I'm assuming there's a fairly simple electronic explenation, but electronics arent really my strong point, and apart from this one problem the thing's a dream to use.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i have a minolta light/flash meter that does the same thing.
    those batteries cost a fortune ...

i take the battery out ..
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Measure the resistance between the + and - terminals in the battery compartment, with the switch in the off position. Should be really really high; but if not, there is a drain somewhere. By tracing with a meter, you might be able to isolate where the drain is.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not familiar with that system, but some EE (electronic exposure) systems can take a lot of juice to power the auto diaphragm unit. Perhaps your meter is not turning off when the motor stops?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Most likely there's some switch in there or something else that's shorted.

Shooter
    35mm
    AA batteries that drain in an hour would be really hot when you took them out of the camera. I bet there's something else wrong with the camera that makes the batteries appear dead when they aren't. John

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin