Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,466   Posts: 1,570,717   Online: 1011

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Speed Graphic Modification...

Would it be a shear travesty if I mounted a dead shoe on the top of my Speed Graphic, and then attached a Sekonic L-208, or Voigtlander Meter II to it?

There is plenty of space on the top of my Speed. Looks to be two film canisters long, end to end from the weird Graflex finder to the left hand strap.
    I guess its more the size of a pack of Camel 99's.

That's a lot of real estate for a little coldshoe and a light meter.

Thoughts?

P.S. I don't really care about the resale value of my speed. I use it, because it is meant to be used.
    - J. Richard
    4x5 Speed Graphic, Looking for another 8x10.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can'nt see it hurting the functions of the camera any,if it helps in you using it more it be fine to me. Such a small thing wouldn't be noted anyway.

Mike

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I have a Speed that was modified like that, but with the addition of a center screw in the cold shoe and a soldered wire to a Bi-post flash cord, when it worked it was very nice, popped a Vivitar 283 on there for 4x5 fill flash. The wire has seen its last days now however.

Shooter
    35mm
    Where are you getting the shoe? I would like to put a shoe on my speed for putting viewfinders, flashes, and such, but I don't know where I'd get a shoe that could be screwed down.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Adding an accessory shoe doesn't seem like such a bad thing to do to a Graphic. I've seen much more heinous acts of violence carried out on the poor cameras.....an accessory shoe would actually be a welcome addition.

Strobo-frame offer a very sturdy and versatile accessory shoe...
    Last edited by BradS; 09-28-2009 at 03:04 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo...shoe! not show

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Putting a digital back on there would not be acceptable, but other modifications will be fine, just fine
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    Putting a digital back on there would not be acceptable, but other modifications will be fine, just fine
    I was actually thinking of some of the butchering that people have actually done...like grinding down the front lock plate to allow the front to swing! Which is an abomination and heinous act of violence against these fine cameras! It just make me want to cry when people butcher the Graphics like that.
    Last edited by BradS; 09-28-2009 at 04:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Awesome! I haven't sourced a shoe yet, but when I do, I will let everyone know.
    - J. Richard
    4x5 Speed Graphic, Looking for another 8x10.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have an L-208 and find it's much easier to use hanging around my neck. I tried mounting it to the cold shoe on a GSW690II and found it very inconvenient to meter. It's a pain to use the mounted L-208 for incident readings, and for reflected reading and I'd rather point the meter and take my readings before getting out the camera. Keep in mind, that the meter display will be on top of the camera--not very convenient if the groundglass is at eye level. Also, the dark mass of the bellows may be in the L-208's fairly broad cone of reading area. Man, do I sound negative or what? Just try it.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Yeah, the Stroboframe shoe is good, there is a 1/4 thread on the bottom, you then could bold it on to the top, just would take a 1/4 drilled hole, make sure you check the clearances with the camera open and closed, mine is off to the far right (facing lens) so opposite the Kalart Rangefinder. I might change over my shoe to the strobo one, I have that kicking around somewhere...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin