Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,813   Posts: 1,581,593   Online: 854

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Help - How to open a Luna Pro for repair

My Luna Pro (Lunasix) ceased working yesterday when a camera store fitted new batteries

Completely dead, even with the old bateries again. I'm rather a long way from a repair shop, and need the meter.

However the fitting new batteries had to be a co-incidence as nothing untoward was done to the meter. Luckily re-examination show the needle isn't moving under any circumstances and the fault is now obvious, the glass screen has dropped and is fouling the needle, so it's a simple problem, open and re-position.

But how do I open up the meter ?

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Very gently!? ~(:=>}}
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My Gossen Spot master broke down a year ago and I decided to try to fix it myself. Like Ian I found no obvious way to disassemble the meter. Apparently Gossen likes to hide the screws that hold the meter together behind plastic plugs. Looking at my Luna Six I’m guessing that the screw heads are located under the three grey plastic plugs at the bottom of the meter.

Hopefully someone who has some actual information will chime in…

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The back plate is glued on and hides 4 screws. Eerily I did a search on Google and this thread showed up less than 10 minutes after I started it

I found a page with some images..

So now hopefully it'll be resurrected quickly. The glass is glued back in place.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Excellent.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Unfortunately the bad news is that the glass appears to have damaged the movement which is no longer balancing freely, it had dropped on to it. So I think it's posibly terminal. The cost of a repair + postage 2 ways is more than they are worth.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Unfortunately the bad news is that the glass appears to have damaged the movement which is no longer balancing freely, it had dropped on to it. So I think it's posibly terminal. The cost of a repair + postage 2 ways is more than they are worth.

Ian
    Suggest inspecting the galvanometer movement with jewelers loupe.

Noel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Used the next best thing an f1.4 Pentax 50mm lens, but you can't see the actual movement, but from previous experience with Weston's etc once this is damaged the meter's had it.

I have a couple of spare meters in the UK, just need to get the Leningrad back from the APUG member who borrowed it

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    For what it may be worth? A number of years ago I had a problem with my Luna Pro. I called Gossen and said I needed an immediate repair. At that time the had a service that charged a flat fee and sent a refurbished one and kept mine. The replacement has worked flawlessly for many years and the turn around was just a few days. I don't know if that is still available but it is worth a call.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    $37 for a replacement, seems like the best bet at the moment. I actually have another Luna Pro - an SBC in the UK, but it's quite a bit larger. I tend to keep a meter in the UK along with spare lenses etc then I don't carry cameras etc every visit (the weight regulations are much lower than Transatlantic flights 15-20kg).

Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin