Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,524,036   Online: 920

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: seal material

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

seal material

This has probably been asked many times.
    Where do you get material for replacing the seals and mirror foam on cameras?
    I've used one of the kits on ebay before, but I dont need all the tools and extras that come in it, I just need the material.

Reason I'm asking is that I just picked up a very clean Canon QL-17 G3, with all the extras. Just needs a cleaning.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jon Goodman's (interslice) ebay kit for the Canon QL17-III is pretty inexpensive, and the instructions are great (and camera specific).

He also sells a useful battery adapter that makes it really easy to use size 675 hearing aid batteries in the camera.

He is great to deal with too.

I come at this from the viewpoint of a satisfied customer.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What Matt said!!
    Times the 18 cameras I've resealed with Jon's kits.
    Fantastic product,a great guy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Defineitely Jon Goodman's Interslice.
    His kits are grat and he is very helpful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Foamies, a sheet foam product, from a craft store like Joanne. A dollar will get enough material for 1000 cameras. Don't laugh... the stuff works and lasts.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Foamies, a sheet foam product, from a craft store like Joanne. A dollar will get enough material for 1000 cameras. Don't laugh... the stuff works and lasts.
    What he said. You can find it with the glue already on it. It cuts easily with scissors. I use a paper cutter to cut narrow strips.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll go with Jon Goodman's product. It fits, great directions. I am one happy camper.
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Jon Goodman's kit is outstanding. I picked one up to reseal some backs and still have loads of it left. He's also very communicative and will answer all of your questions.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    If you have only one or two cameras, then Jon Goodman's kit is a good route. If you have a lot of cameras, I would recommend Foamies. One sheet is a couple of dollars and will handle maybe 50 or 60 cameras.

You can cut odd shaped pieces without worrying about running out of product. You'll encounter this situation with some of the Japanese rangefinders.

For $4 or so, I've refoamed about 60 cameras in the past two years. Very economical, compared with $10 a pop for each camera ($600).

Although I can't yet prove it, I believe this product won't turn to goo after a decade.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Jon Goodman's "The Man" - can't go wrong with him; and honestly at $10 a set, any camera worth using is worth that. I'm just waiting for him to get to the F3, N90s and F100 - I got work to do!!

Bob H
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin