Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,372   Online: 993

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Mamiya RB67 and water

My tripod turned over while I was calculating the exposure and my camera went into the water. The waist level finder is smashed and the focusing screen does not look to be in good shape either. Worse, however, is that my polarizer is cracked, bent and will not turn nor come off the lens. Any idea how I can get the filter off and how much damage we are likely talking about from the water, mainly in the lens.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Also, any idea as to my film? Is it salvageable? It was Fuji Astia 100F. I wound it through and then removed it. Only part of the paper is wet.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Really sorry to hear of the mishap. I would get it to a shop as soon as possible. There are electronic components here, there and everywhere. Me, being financially challenged would probably open everything up, place them in ziplocs with silica gel packs for 3-4 days in hopes that everything would dry out. But a shop can get it cleaned properly. Same with removing the lens so that others may be affixed once you get that one off. As to the film, just go for it and see what happens.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There are no electronic parts in the RB bodies. (only a metering prism or powered back would have electronics, but even so, the camera body itself is not electronic) It is probably fine except for the screen and the polarizer as you mentioned. The polarizer can probably be removed with a dremel tool. The film is probably fine; who knows, maybe you will see 'creative effects.' I have dropped my RBs umpteen times and never had a problem. As far as water goes, just dump the fish out and let it dry out The lenses are well sealed, I doubt you got water in there. If you did then it may need to be opened up.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What a bummer! Maybe KEH can fix it or least get busted parts replace. Hopefully the film is still ok.

Jeff

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    RB67 are "tanks" . no electronics to worry about as mentioned. Get the thing opened to dry air. when you think it is dry carefully go in with a high quality compressed air. If it was salt water you have a bigger problem. I've gotten got into some heavy down pours before but I haven't had a full emersion?

Good luck, my RB67 is my go to camera and I can imagine you pain .....

Miles
    Miles :
    cherish light

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I found out what I saw was only water between the two parts of the screen. So it will be ok.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I found out what I saw was only water between the two parts of the screen. So it will be OK.
    I have the ProS and it's a tough camera, the projecting parts, lens, finder and knobs are the first to take the impact in a fall and since it was water and not concrete and you were there to pick it up right away I'd say that it should be just. There are no electronics in them so only mechanical function is the issue.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkroom317 View Post
    Worse, however, is that my polarizer is cracked, bent and will not turn nor come off the lens. Any idea how I can get the filter off and how much damage we are likely talking about from the water, mainly in the lens.
    Put on dish washing gloves [rubber] and see if you can twist the filter off.

OR

Put a wide rubber band around the filter to twist it off.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Crap. Sorry. Thinking M645j. No elecs. Righto.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin