Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,979   Posts: 1,523,710   Online: 1165

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You might try those cheezy 99 cent reflective survival blankets for a layer, I'm pretty sure they are light tight, and a very very thin.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can see through those easily.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey guys,

In the world of (folk) music making, the "free reed' instrument makers (concertinas, accordions, bandoneons, etc) make/use bellows that look to me to be almost identical in construction to those found in bellows style cameras.

Maybe the materials they use to make their bellows are also suitable for camera making?

Shooter
    Large Format
    http://www.leathersupplyhouse.com/cg...d=3479651.4981

I called this place and apparently they have a 2-ply .012" thick black cotton cloth with a rubber coating in the middle that they say is 100% light tight and can also be used to make camera bellows, as well...its just not listed on the website. Its approx $35 a lineal yard and is 60" wide. I'm going to get some for a couple of Whole Plate walnut wet-plate cameras I'm making. If things turn out right, I'll have burgundy fabric on the outside which I think will look dandy with the dark walnut.

Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm considering buying some just to have in case I need to make another bellows.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by J0B00 View Post
    http://www.leathersupplyhouse.com/cg...d=3479651.4981

I called this place and apparently they have a 2-ply .012" thick black cotton cloth with a rubber coating in the middle that they say is 100% light tight and can also be used to make camera bellows, as well...its just not listed on the website. Its approx $35 a lineal yard and is 60" wide. I'm going to get some for a couple of Whole Plate walnut wet-plate cameras I'm making. If things turn out right, I'll have burgundy fabric on the outside which I think will look dandy with the dark walnut.

Andy
    When I contacted them a month ago they said they actually supply material for bellows to companies, not stated, but they said the hides would need a second layer for light tight results. They have hides that are very thin and would look very nice.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'm not talking about the hides... I don't want or need a leather bellows... I was referring more to the rubber coated cotton fabric. They do have some thin sheepskin that I use for covering tintype cases though....

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've made numerous bellows for large format cameras and have tried several different materials before. Initially I found a very thin artifical leather at one of the big fabric store chains. However, most of it that is now available is too thick to use affectively.

While I was fully aware of the more expensive fabrics like the one that Porter's used to have, I was always looking at ways to keep the cost down.

The last couple of years, I've been using opaque drapery liner fabric from the local fabric store. It's pretty inexpensive and is pretty thin also. Problem is that it's normally white so you will need to paint it flat black if you are using it on the inside of your bellows (pretty simple to do). For the outside, I normally use a simple black eqyptian cotton cloth. This combination seems to work fine for bellows that are for cameras 8 x 10 and larger. For 4 x 5 and smaller, your bellows thickness when fully folded is more critical because the camera is smaller, so the thickness of both materials plus the bellows stays (if you use them) in between is all important. If the material that JOBBO incates above is readily available, I would definitely try that route if your are looking at 4 x 5.
    Dan's website: www.dandozer.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by J0B00 View Post
    I'm not talking about the hides... I don't want or need a leather bellows... I was referring more to the rubber coated cotton fabric. They do have some thin sheepskin that I use for covering tintype cases though....
    Oh, sorry for the additional information I received from talking with the company representative. You may not want or need a leather bellows but someone else might be interested.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    35mm
    Ty,

You might give these folks a call. They are nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by venchka View Post
    This company comes recommended as a place that stocks a LOT of fabric. Somebody here or at APUG was asking about bellows fabric recently. I am not a customer. I am only the messenger.

Wherehouse Fabrics, 2675 Perth St, Dallas, 75220 214-352-4908
    If you find a solution, I have a Linhof Technika V that might need bellows someday.

Good luck!
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the East Texas Rain forest. Apprentice Analog Activist.
    ... And to paraphrase Yoda, there is no how, only do.
    Vaughn
    My Photos Online

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin