Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,107   Online: 924

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Minolta X-700 shutter sticking/hanging

Having some problems with the shutter on my X-700 I bought new way back when. After processing the film, I've discovered partial exposure in some frames (half the frame, or near the frame edge). Not sure if this is a DIY fix, or send to a qualified camera repair shop. Then of course, there's the cost to repair. I have three lenses for this camera. A CLA wouldn't hurt.
    The camera has never had one. It may extend the life of the camera.

Any Minolta owners out there expereience shutter problems? Did you fix, or replace?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had an x-700 new from '84 until three years ago, that was just fine until it and I went for a swim together. Then I replaced it with an x-570, which is like a brother to the x-700 without program ,and with better metering options in manual exposure modes. The first one exhibitted a similar problem to yours shortly after I got it.

It turned out that one of the two 'big' electrolytic capacitors in it were going. They are used to store energy from the comparatively small current limited battery to power the big current draws when the electromagnets that control the shutter curtain release. Replacing them is not a DIY fix; a professional fix is to replace them with tanatalum capacitors; which don't dry out/die nearly as readily. I elected to send it back and get another one.

Then I bought a second x-570 as a backup, I liked it so much better than the x-700, for when I shoot b&w.

To round out my options I bought a srt101 about 10 years ago, to share my MD glass optins with and there is very little electronic to have to worry about in it.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are the partial frames with flash?
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    Are the partial frames with flash?
    No flash used.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilde View Post
    Then I bought a second x-570 as a backup, I liked it so much better than the x-700, for when I shoot b&w.

To round out my options I bought a srt101 about 10 years ago, to share my MD glass optins with and there is very little electronic to have to worry about in it.
    I may just have to leverage my Canon gear. I also have an ELAN 7E.

I got one online quote from Precision camera $130 to repair

KEH has X-700 bodies starting around $99. Shame - the X-700 is a nice little camera. I could probably sell off the Minolta glass and use the proceeds toward another Canon film body.

Decisions Decisions

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Suggest you try www.garyscameras.com

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mwdake is correct.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mwdake View Post

Thanks ... mgb74 and mwdake. Very tempting. Anyone out there done any business with Garry's Camera? Were ya happy with the results?

Price is right. Although sending my X-700 out for repair is scary

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lilmsmaggie View Post
    I may just have to leverage my Canon gear. I also have an ELAN 7E.

I got one online quote from Precision camera $130 to repair

KEH has X-700 bodies starting around $99. Shame - the X-700 is a nice little camera. I could probably sell off the Minolta glass and use the proceeds toward another Canon film body.

Decisions Decisions
    To my mind if you spend the $ 130 at least you will know It's been serviced, another one is an unknown quantity and you may just be buying trouble for the future, at least you know where yours has been.
    Ben

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin