Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,199   Posts: 1,531,481   Online: 901

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga View Post
    John,

I simply bolted an aluminum plate to the bottom grid of the camera, completely reversible so there is no effect on the camera value. I didn't have to drill an holes or remove any metal. But as far as the value of the camera goes, any improvement to the camera that is properly done would increase the value, IMO.

By putting a plate on the base grid of the camera a QR plate mounted much more securely than using the small mounting area that the camera has. I didn't mount the camera directly to the tripod. In either case using an aluminum plate improves the stability of the camera to tripod mount, no question about it.

I owned the black and green versions and I never was real happy with either, though I used them extensively for a while.

As I stated I use the C1 with the Ries pan tilt head (The A250) out in the field. The camera mounts rock solid on that large platform head which is designed to support an 8x10. Thus, it supports the camera over the entire base plate frame including the perimeter. The Majestic 1500 head also provides proper support for an 8x10 base. I think the problem people may be running into is the use of improper heads (too small) to properly support or be used with an 8x10. I don't think there is any issue with the camera base plate frame design, it has a strong cross member that even acts as a gusset. More than enough support for the camera. It's imperative to use the camera on a proper support, that means correct choice of tripod head / tripod legs. Perhaps, the magnesium version of the camera has caused people some problems, it may be more vulnerable to breakage of the base frame simply because magnesium is more brittle to begin with. I don't know if there are differences in the base frame design between the aluminum C1 and the magnesium C1. How can you use a quick release plate on an 8x10? I have never seen a QR plate for 8x10's. What head is it used with? Guess I may not understand your description correctly.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by John R. View Post
    As I stated I use the C1 with the Ries pan tilt head (The A250) out in the field.
    I prefer to use a carbon fiber tripod with a ball head. I never cared for the Reis because of the weight.

How can you use a quick release plate on an 8x10? I have never seen a QR plate for 8x10's. What head is it used with?
    You screw the release plate onto the base of the camera. A very common practice.

A RRS ball head worked for me. Prior to that I used a Bogen 3047 (or what ever it's called now).
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The RRS heads look very inviting and not bad for the price.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/rrs/Cust...%2D55%2DLR&eq=
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga View Post
    I prefer to use a carbon fiber tripod with a ball head. I never cared for the Reis because of the weight.

You screw the release plate onto the base of the camera. A very common practice.

A RRS ball head worked for me. Prior to that I used a Bogen 3047 (or what ever it's called now).
    Yeah, I know you screw a plate onto the bottom of the camera but where are you getting a suitable quick release plate that fits the base frame of a C1 8x10. I hav enever seen a QR plate that is appropriate for that application.

What ballhead are you using with a C1? I have a Arca B1 and even though it can handle the weight there is no way it is suitable for a C1 for proper stability and support. this is why i use the Ries A250 head in the field and the Majestic 1200 head indoors. I agree the carbon fiber is certainly lighter than the Ries legs. But the wooden Ries legs greatly absorb vibration.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    The RRS heads look very inviting and not bad for the price.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/rrs/Cust...%2D55%2DLR&eq=
    I don't know how good their heads are. I can tell you it is hard to beat the Arca heads and my assumption is the RRS is not in the same league, but the RRS looks like a nice head in concept. I'm sure someone can afford real world feedback on that head. RRS does not make any large format mounting plates suitable for an 8x10 much less a Calumet C1. Anyone that uses a RRS 4x5 plate on a C1 base frame is asking for trouble because the camera would be getting woefully inadequate support. RRS might be willing to make a custom size plate that would be appropriate or SK Grimes could be commissioned to do so but you will pay big time to them, their custom work is expensive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know how good their heads are. I can tell you it is hard to beat the Arca heads and my assumption is the RRS is not in the same league, but the RRS looks like a nice head in concept. I'm sure someone can afford real world feedback on that head. RRS does not make any large format mounting plates suitable for an 8x10 much less a Calumet C1. Anyone that uses a RRS 4x5 plate on a C1 base frame is asking for trouble because the camera would be getting woefully inadequate support. RRS might be willing to make a custom size plate that would be appropriate or SK Grimes could be commissioned to do so but you will pay big time to them, their custom work is expensive.

John, I wouldn't be buying a $500.00 head like the RRS listed even if it really does support 50 pounds. And I wouldn't be getting a ball head to use on a C1 either. My Gitzo Studex with it's Gitzo large platform head support is more in line. The Bogen tripod with the leg spread brace that I have handles the camera perfectly too. My wooden Berlebach Report is too light to use.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    John, I wouldn't be buying a $500.00 head like the RRS listed even if it really does support 50 pounds. And I wouldn't be getting a ball head to use on a C1 either. My Gitzo Studex with it's Gitzo large platform head support is more in line. The Bogen tripod with the leg spread brace that I have handles the camera perfectly too. My wooden Berlebach Report is too light to use.
    Yeah Curt, I would agree with your approach. Certainly the RRS heads are awful pricey and not sure if they justify their cost. I would like to get one in my hands some day just to see what they are like. No way are they suitable for a C1 no matter what, they are too small. The Gitzo rig is a good way to go for the C1 as long as the weight is not a factor to you. My Majestic is a perfect support for the C1 but you wouldn't want to be carrying it around and lugging a C1 too. The Ries A100 works great and in combination with the A250 head it is a beautiful rig for a C1 in the field. I like the wooden legs because of the vibration absorbing qualities and the simplicity of the tripod use. You could go with the heavy duty Berlebach, they make a very nice tripod as you well know.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin