Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,741   Posts: 1,515,559   Online: 1025

Shooter
    35mm

speed graphic focal plane shutter

Has anyone ever worked on them? My shutter currently works on all speeds, but T. Only the first stage of T works, so that the shutter is left stranded with the film exposed; it won't close again after the first stage.

It seems like this could be fixed with just a slight increase in spring tension. My shutter curtains are in good shape, if it's not insanely difficult I would like to clean the mechanism. What's in like working on these shutters and how do you go about it?
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi there

can you switch your spring tension to the faster mode ?
    there should be a switch at the bottom of the side with the winding key
    that allows you to increase or decrease the resistance on the rollers ..
    maybe that will help if you haven't already tried it ...

you might post your question about cleaning your shutter on graflex.org.
    bert sanders and other graflex-gurus are there and may be able to help you in
    that department ( or maybe someone else asked the same question and you can search it ).

good luck!
    john
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The shutters on Speed Graphics are very easy to work on I restored a badly beaten up Speed last year. Later I found there's an excellent piece by Thomas Tomosy in his book Restoring Classic & Collectible Cameras, you an actually read the whole section on Google.
    Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks; after reading that google book I think i'll try tackling the shutter myself. The curtains appear to be in fine shape. The shutter works on all settings but T, but I like T, and after 50+ years, I'm sure it deserves a cleaning and relubricating.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have managed to get several to start working by just lubricating the rollers
    Real men use Speed Graphics and flashbulbs.

Shooter
    35mm
    Well I took it apart last night, and more or less, everything is in order. The problem isn't with the shutter itself.

The shutter curtain rolls up on the bottom roller. So you can imagine that for the "T" exposure, which is the last one, the bottom roller is about as big around as it is going to get. The reason T doesn't work is that the bottom roller rubs against the metal camera body right below the bellows. It just barely touches the metal as it rolls around, and a slight nudge with a finger will send it the rest of the way round.

This is curious to me because I don't understand why a problem like this would crop up suddenly. The curtain appears to be fine, the bearings appear to be free and unworn. Perhaps it's winter now and the camera body is shrinking?

In any case, the only way I can see to fix it would be to move the lower roller down, to grind away the metal body, or to lubricate the shutter and/or metal body so that the shutter doesn't stick when it touches. Graphite? Would Armor All hurt the shutter material? I know Armor All is very slippery; I accidentally put it on my motorcycle seat once.
    f/22 and be there.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin