Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,484   Posts: 1,571,276   Online: 1060

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Looking for a quality & affordable CLA

Hi all,

I just got into LF & I've got 3 shutters/lenses that I'd like to get up to spec. The shutters are in good shape, just gunky from years of non-use. I'd love to use someone local (I'm in Lawrence, KS, so KC would be great), but I'm just soliciting information on anyone who does good CLA's in the US.

I'd like to spend as little as possible, so someone who does it as a hobby or something would be just fine.

By the way, what is the going rate for a LF shutter CLA?

Thanks!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Contact Paul Ebel: paulebel44@yahoo.com

I can't remember how much he charges for a CLA but his prices are very reasonable, his work is top-drawer and his turnaround time is pretty quick. Very recently, he repaired my 14 inch Commercial Ektar which had got soaked in a rainstorm. The shutter blades were rusted and the shutter was frozen. He fixed it like it was new for around $100 including new parts and shipping. He also fixed the shutter on a 90mm Super Angulon that local repairmen told me was not fixable. Also under $100 includiing new parts and shipping.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Another vote for Paul Ebel

Paul Ebel Lens Service
    PO Box 141
    Menomonie, WI 54751
    tel: 651-335-8759
    paulebel44@yahoo.com

He has worked on one shutter a month for me over the last three months just because I wanted to spread the cost. I plan to send a fourth after New Years. A straight CLA on the Ilex #5 in my avatar was $67 plus shipping and insurance.

This is his full time business and he works in a business like manner, or very well in my experience. I would be concerned that some one who does this for a hobby might be good or might have a lot to learn. I would not know the difference before hand and could easily get burned by bad work or paying for more work than was needed. I think Paul would make a very good teacher. He has been so for me.

John Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very cool, I'll email Paul right away.

I guess, by hobbyist I was referring to someone like this, who works out of their home and doesn't necessarily have a flashy website, etc.

Thanks much guys!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I only know three in the country and they all work out of their homes.
    I’m sure big dealers have an in house person.
    My guess is their business is mostly digital today.

Glad to help.
    That is how I found Paul.
    Tell him we sent you his way.
    Good people build a business on referrals.

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    S.K.Grimes, an APUG sponsor is certainly worth a mention. They have done some work for me in the past, with which, I was pleased. Bill Barber

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    As is Carol Miller at Flutot's Camera Repair in Whittier, CA. Email flutotscamera@earthlink.net

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin