Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,484   Online: 822

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Diffusion Glass for Enlarger

Okay,

I just got a new-to-me Elwood 5x7 operating last night and I have just figured out how to find the sweet spot for aiming the light and my hot spot is manageable now but, the diffusion is still rough and varied.

The old glass is cracked anyway so I'm looking for ideas on what to replace this with.

BTW I tried a new style spiral CFL bulb to get a larger more diffuse source and that helped some but I can actually see the spirals of brightness on the base board, and the crack in the glass, and... you get the idea.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My old Gnome enlarger had a frosted diffuser, just like a LF focus screen. So easy to make a new one. See david Vikers post today/yesterday.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks Ian,

I'm actually inspired by that post and may give that a try.

I am also considering White Flashed Opal glass or using two layers of diffusion glass or grinding on both sides of a home made diffuser or a bulb that hides the element behind a guard or painting the bulb so the element can't shine directly on the diffuser.

Didn't know what others had had success with.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You could also find a way to use diffusion gels like the Rosco 'tough' series that are made for direct use in front of high wattage lamps. Not badly priced either.

http://www.rosco.com/us/technotes/fi...chnote_3fv.asp

Lee

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin