Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,913   Posts: 1,556,267   Online: 854

Shooter
    Medium Format

1/4-20 or 3/8-16 nylon insert blind lock nut?

Anyone know if I will find a 1/4-20 or 3/8-16 female thread mounting flange "thing" that I can put into/onto a camera that has a nylon insert to lock the thread? It's for a vehicle mounting system that I'm building and I don't want the camera to loosen up from the vibrations. Backup plan is to machine something that I can drop a standard nylon lock nut into, but a real camera flange with the locking nylon would be best since it would save me all the time to cut the flange. Last alternate would be a standard mounting flange with a jam disk like so many tripod heads use. The camera is only about 150 grams.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I'd go with a high strength all steel setup with a lock washer... better yet a cotter pin. Nylon threads would scare me especially on a moving vehicle. What system are you using to dampen vibrations?

Shooter
    Medium Format

Loctite? 2 products.

What you describe I call a Tee nut. I've used them for years and never found one with the nylon thread-locking feature. Perhaps Loctite would work? The purple variety [#222?] is low-strength. You will find that it still has residual locking power [not much weaker than Nylok] for the next [maybe half-dozen] insertions. Then another drop of purple Loctite will then restore the action.

Another Loctite product that keeps on locking the the threads after many more removals, very much like a Nylok nut, is Loctite 572 pipe thread sealant with Teflon.

http://www.allfasteners.com/Loctite-...441_p_104.html
    Last edited by Larry.Manuel; 12-01-2009 at 11:54 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: seppling errors.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The lock nut, nylon insert type, would be the most secure for your application. Some loc-tite will also work well.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Plastic... more secure than steel? NOT!! I agree that locktight is good but only with steel fasteners!!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Nylock nuts are approved in most forms of auto racing as an alternative to safety wire. They are steel, stainless, or titanium (probably other materials too) with a nylon ring that grips the threads and prevents the bolt from rotating out. All strength of grip is in the metal portion of the nut. There is also and epoxy compound that you can put on the threads of the bolt and let harden, then when you screw in the bolt is will lock similar to a nylock nut, but it is not as good as a nylock, and I can't remember exactly what to look for to buy it.

Got my Bogen Superclamp last night and noticed that is uses a regular nut to work the clamp, going to need to change that to a nylock also, don't want the clamp to back out from vibration.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    So those are steel threads molded into the nylon lock. I suppose that would work but why bother with nylon? Just go with steel. Ehh... my ignorance abounds so I'm sure I'm just misunderstanding your needs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No, they are steel, etc nuts with a nylon ring set in a groove and crimped in place. A picture courtesy of google and Wikepedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Nylon_Lock_Nut.png

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    O-o-h-h... now I feel so STOOPID. Of course those will work. Love 'em.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin