Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,526   Posts: 1,543,909   Online: 1076

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format

Burning down the house (a trial by fire)

Here's a couple photos of a Graflex RB I heavily rekajiggered to work in harsh enviornments, particularly high heat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Wow that's quite beautiful!

What is the intended environment if I may ask?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks, Pete. Structure fires mostly. So far I've gotten it up over 300f.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Steam Punk! (That's a good thing, and kinda cool)
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What a cool camera! Makes me want to take the ragged leather off one of my old beaters and see what lies beneath the skin. Thanks for sharing.
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks! I've stripped and refinished two of the three I own. The other one is nicer, but not quite finished yet. This one gets pretty grungy during use and looks more like a user than a show-piece.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What can I say but "Wow!" Very nice work on that camera.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Wow! I'm impressed.

I have a couple of old Speed Graphics with bad leather on the body.

Hmmmm.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Every decision I made was with function in mind, but I couldn't help a little artistic flair. The wood and brass were stripped and gone over with about eight or nine coats of marine grade spar varnish. The bellows were reinforced with mesh and Pliobond. The leather was treated with Hubberd's Shoe Oil. The metal joints and holes (like at the shutter key and tension knob) are filled with machine oil. The top was reverse-mounted and has a mirror on the underside so it can be used like a regular SLR instead of having to look down onto the ground glass. All of the seams were sealed with high-temp waterproof sealant. Everything was gone over with a bunch of layers of carunaba wax as both a sacrificial layer and to seal any last spots. The magazines have an over-sized pull ring for use with firefighting gloves. The darkslides are cut down from larger-sized dark slides so that there is plenty of room to grip on top and a leather leash was attached in order to help yank out the darkslide if it got too difficult to remove and also to tether it to the camera so it wouldn't get lost.

Weight with one magazine is well over eight pounds. Pretty hefty, but not too bad when you consider that the weight of bunker when dry is over twenty-four pounds and twice that when wet. So far the camera has taken a direct hit from a firehose strong enough to knock it over (keep that weight in mind!) and countless glancing blows. All I've had to do is tip it over to dump the water out of the top area.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So let's see some pictures.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin