Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,704   Online: 922

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format

Home made hobo 10x8 camera + componon

here is a link to a shot i made today on my hobo camera, i seem to have a hotspot under the light in the picture

the light was on in the daytime so i was hoping to get your opinions on what this hotspot might be

is it a lens issue or perhaps flare

the lens is a componon 210mm f5.6 in a compur shutter.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	109.2 KB 
ID:	16051
    Last edited by paulie; 12-15-2009 at 06:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    and the link is ?

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    here it is

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    looks like flare from an uncoated lens, you certainly don't need a centre filter

My Componon 210 won't quite cover 10x8 on my enlarger so would be worse at Infinity, so you must be lucky.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Light leak? though a little unnusual for it to hit right in the center like that. How is the lens attached? Do you have a ground glass back? If it is flare you can see it on the ground glass.

If it is flare, you can also consider a modern multicoated Symmar-S 210. They are way-cheap and would have a similar coverage suited to that type of camera.

Shooter
    Large Format
    yeah i was most surprised when it actually covered 10x8 at infinity, i will post a picture of my camera at some point for you to look at.

no ground glass just exterior site lines, calumet lens board was used with compur and elements screwed directly to shutter

the lens board is press fit in a rebated opening in the camera and then black tape sealed, the camera has been light tested with paper for 4 hours with no noticable fogging

flare could be a factor , i had a u.v filter on the lens with no hood , naughty me, but it was a shady shot

Shooter
    Large Format

Name:	q.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	16052

Name:	IMG_2487.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	16053

Name:	r.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	284.5 KB 
ID:	16054

Name:	w.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	16055

the box is a kinda fair weather tripod, going to be used for ALT process

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I had this problem with a 12 inch Dagor lens. I never solved it, but it would overexpose the center of the image. It may have been flare, but it happened a lot on overcast days or with close focussed items. It didn't seem consistent.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Does a blade on the shutter hang open? On one of mine the lubicant turned to thick paste that stopped the shutter form closing completly and in sync. One blade "hung open" a slpit second longer than the others. This left an over exposed area dead center when it happened but it did not happen all the time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vdoak View Post
    Does a blade on the shutter hang open? On one of mine the lubicant turned to thick paste that stopped the shutter form closing completly and in sync. One blade "hung open" a slpit second longer than the others. This left an over exposed area dead center when it happened but it did not happen all the time.
    Funny, I have never experienced this, but I was starting to think along the same lines, because looking at the image, is flare likely? It seems to have been an overcast day in Amsterdam when this picture was taken. There are hardly any shadows.
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin