Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,236   Online: 707

Shooter
    Medium Format

Mamiya (645) - 500 f8 focus problem

Hello all,

Just acquired this lens and apart from a tiny amount of fungus behind the fornt element (anyone know if it's easy to remove the element?) I have a big problem with the focusing mechanism. The ring moves way past infinity and fails to let the lens focus to its stated minimum distance. Does someone know whether this is a DIY job to correct or am I looking at a professional repair? And with fungus present, I understand some repairers won't accept such lenses...

Thanks for any advice.
    Last edited by ContaxRTSFundus; 12-18-2009 at 07:58 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: wrong spelling

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have the 500/5.6 lens, is that the one you mean? I am not familiar with the 500/8. Is it a mirror lens?

Anyway the problems you describe sound tolerable. That the ring moves past infinity isn't such a big deal, but if you want near focus, I have always used an extension tube for that anyway. As for the fungus, I do think the front element can be removed but it's probably best done by a professional. To kill the fungus is easy enough... with UV light, but cleaning off what's there may require some careful surgery...

http://www.mypentax.com/Fungus.html

I'll just add, I recall that in viticulture, it is common practice to burn a sulfur stick in the barrel to kill bacteria, mold, and maybe also fungus.

Do bear in mind that the 500/5.6 lens in good condition often goes for ~$600-700.
    Last edited by keithwms; 12-18-2009 at 08:14 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin