Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,619   Online: 678

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

DIY Sol Gel Glass Lens

I think I found holy grail of technology for those who want to make his DIY Glass Lens.
    For a foreigner to these technologies , for a beginner , I advise to read few times than go search for your self. This is sol gel process of making solid glass and ceramic.
    I am not an expert but I understood that you create a gel with different elements and mold this gel than cook it at microwave oven between 80 to 200 degrees and get a solid glass lens.
    Final step is to cook this part at a enamel furnace at 1000 degrees for half hour or more and get a excellent shape and material.
    I looked to the google and there is even low dispersion glass formulas for sol gel.
    There is a paper for artists who want to create their big glass art pieces from sol gel without lots of trouble. Ed Sym is the writer.
    My dream is to build my LOMO Anamorphic Square Front lens.
    If you want to learn more details , you can get more from GELTECH patents , they are producing laser experiment anamorphic , spherical and nonspherical lenses cheap with this technology.

Best ,

Mustafa Umut Sarac

Istanbul

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Won't last week's garlic toast and yesterday's meatloaf affect the refraction index?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Garlic Toast ! Good idea , I will make it tomorrow , Thank you.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    By the way I read a book last night tells Sol Gel Silica Glass preparation and use and it says densification starts at 200 celcius and generally done in 500. The trick is to build the glass lens at low temp.
    I read 200 degree makes 1.4 gram density while 1000 degree makes 2 or more grams

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin