Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,092   Online: 1226

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by unclemack View Post
    People have on occasion brought cameras to me that they've tried to "repair" with WD40. And RUINED them! Great for motorcycles, OK for locks but death to cameras.
    Short term WD-40 will free a lock, but then corrode the guts out of the tumblers over time. This leads to a greater problem.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Personally, I would save the WD-40 for in the garage. I wouldn't dare get it anywhere near my cameras. It might not be corrosive, but I would think that it would make the outer casing (Whatever it may be: Leather, Vinyl, plastic, rubber, cowhide, wood etc. etc.) oily. I do agree with the Stainless Steel wipes.
    When I decide to put a camera away for a couple months, I usually do a deep cleaning of everything, and put it in one of my bags with Sillica.

My thoughts, take it or leave it!
    -JC
    My weapons consist of 11 cameras. And counting... Be afraid.

We are the makers of music, The dreamers of dreams.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    At nearly 70 I take the Labradors for 8-12 miles a week of hiking.
    Dang, those are some old dogs! Or was that in dog-years?

Most of my cameras are wood or leather covered, I normally put on an extra thick layer of the appropriate wood or leather treatment if I'm going to be storing them for any amount of time.

I treat my cameras the same way I treat my antique furniture, with any luck they'll both still be around for future generations to enjoy.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I will just add that my cameras will never get near a can of WD40 - it's designed to penetrate and will get everywhere eventually.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    WD-40 will peel the leather from the camera body.It will migrate under the edges and dissolve the adhesive. As Anscojohn states, use silicon. There are silicon impregnated cloths that are designed for wiping down metal and removing fingerprints and other corrosive materials that would eat into the metal finish. I dont think I would use an aerosol spray, as the solvents in it will do the same as WD-40 to the leather.

Rick

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I would also add that silicon should be used carefully too - it will make the body rather slippery in my experience which may not be the desired effect...CRASH...oh sh*t there goes my £2000 Leica onto the concrete...!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just a note that silicon damages lens coatings. For my collection, I use a little leather dressing on real leather, wipe the metal with a Windex dampened cloth and clean lenses with a good lens cleaner and tissue. I don't use the cleaner if it's only dust. Keep my cameras in a display case in the living room. Some of the shutters get sticky from disuse, but they all look good. My Grandmothers 1917 Kodak Autographic still looks and works perfectly, and that's the oldest one. Just the way I do it - your mileage may vary.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Even if you're lucky and silicon doesn't damage the lens coating, it's still a complete nightmare to remove as it's designed to be ultra slippery so everything slips off it including lens cleaning fluid.

I read somewhere that lighter fluid (Ronsonol or Swan brand etc.) is a good general purpose camera cleaner (NOT for lenses) - does anyone else use lighter fluid...?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have used WD-40 on camera parts, but never spraying it on, it can just occasionally help, but I then thoroughly cleaned the parts afterwards.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuikopath View Post
    I read somewhere that lighter fluid (Ronsonol or Swan brand etc.) is a good general purpose camera cleaner (NOT for lenses) - does anyone else use lighter fluid...?
    I do, besides alcohol and spit. Never anything else.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin