Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,466   Online: 922

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

need tips on preserving cameras

I've ended up with somewhat of a 'collection' of cameras. Nothing really expensive. But I would still like to make sure they are protected against rust and time.

I was thinking that since WD40 is designed to prevent rust, I could spray some on a towel and rub in on external metal surfaces.

what else can I do to preserve my collection?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    In the absence of professional opinion, I shall offer my own. Were they mine, I would not use WD-40. I collect vintage military firearms and have been advised against WD-40. I use a silicon spray, listed as safe for food-preparation areas and equipment.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was told that WD-40 is corrosive and not to use it on locks or cameras.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It is corrosive, its designed to break rust and such to loosten bolts.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have yet to see WD-40 corrode anything. The WD stands for water displacement. It is meant to protect against corrosion by removing water and leaving corrosion inhibitors on the metal.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Re: need tips on preserving cameras

WD-40 is likely to migrate to places where you don't want it. This is why it's not usually recommended for cameras.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Terence View Post
    I have yet to see WD-40 corrode anything. The WD stands for water displacement. It is meant to protect against corrosion by removing water and leaving corrosion inhibitors on the metal.
    +1

I use it regularly to over-winter a vintage motorcycle and use it on all unpainted metal (alum, chrome) and never had a problem with corrosion.. on the contrary and the bike is forty years old.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've been using the Weiman Stainless Steel wipes. I sort of stumbled upon this stuff while managing a night club. I have a rather large collection of cameras and use these wipes on "ALL" of them. This stuff has proven, to me at least, to be safe on all camera exteriors. So far it works fine on leatherette, metal, and even polycarbonate cameras (the plastic ones). So you'll always see a container of these wipes in my CLA kits! It's something like a combination cleaner / lube that has the end results of Armor all. Be sure to use sparingly because it goes a long way
    ------------------------------------
    -Joe
    RB67, ETR, ETRS, F4, F5, FM3a, A1, AE1,
    Bronica-S, Mamiya-7, Yashica TLR, & many many Range finders
    ------------------------------------

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Take advice from a repairer you trust in the same climate as yourself. Seem to remember one in Vacaville years ago. I'm a UK based, retired repairer.

People have on occasion brought cameras to me that they've tried to "repair" with WD40. And RUINED them! Great for motorcycles, OK for locks but death to cameras.

Cameras like a reasonably constant temperature; if you see condensation on your lens it will also be on internal metal parts. Sweat from your hands on those really hot, humid days - rain, obviously, avoid.

For storage keep in a cupboard or cabinet away from direct sunlight - not too much of a problem here in the UK - away from heating radiators or appliances, preferably against an internal wall, not in a kitchen or bathroom. If you have a spare room, great. We breathe out moisture all the time so if your cupboard has to be in a bedroom or living area choose the bigger room if you can to minimise humidity.

"Airing cupboards" are found in some houses in the UK - the hot water tank is in there - great for drying towels but will dry out some lubricants in cameras and cause others to separate & migrate. Leather can crack, adhesives can fail.

Exercise is good if you have the discipline for it, most of us don't. But if you can manage it, using them regularly helps to keep them moving.

Having said all that... I have some cameras that have been untouched in boxes for up to 25 years. Just now put batteries in four of them and all work fine!

Some will disagree but I don't use desiccants or plastic bags - each item I wrap in a square of undyed clean cotton cloth. Mostly because I've never known for certain all the possible causes of degradation of light-trap foams.

Hope this is of some help but don't forget I'm at least ten years behind the times...

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by unclemack View Post
    Exercise is good if you have the discipline for it, most of us don't. But if you can manage it, using them regularly helps to keep them moving. .
    Good advice for the operator as well as the camera. There is an old medical saw. “Motion is the best lotion.” At nearly 70 I take the Labradors for 8-12 miles a week of hiking. We keep the WD-40 for things in the garage.

John Powers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin