Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,919   Posts: 1,584,780   Online: 979

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Smooth black paint to for film transport plate

The black paint is flaking off the metal plates over which the film passes in my new-to-me Mamiya Six folder. I fear that the film might be scratched. The flaking is right on the area where the film passes over. I don't see evidence of scratching in my test roll... but the paint is coming off quite steadily.

Suggestions for what to paint on there? Whatever was on there looks to be a thin black enamel. I was thinking about black nail polish... anybody got better ideas?
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    black enamel...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The plate is powder coated. See if you can't find another plate from a dead camera or the local camera repair shop.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    The black paint is flaking off the metal plates over which the film passes in my new-to-me Mamiya Six folder. I fear that the film might be scratched. The flaking is right on the area where the film passes over. I don't see evidence of scratching in my test roll... but the paint is coming off quite steadily.

Suggestions for what to paint on there? Whatever was on there looks to be a thin black enamel. I was thinking about black nail polish... anybody got better ideas?
    The camera's from the late 50's isn't it?
    If it's black trim it's either enamel or lacquer. If it's the pressure plate it could be anodized or possibly painted.
    If you paint it use a spray & several very light coats.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    If you paint it use a spray & several very light coats.
    And be sure you get it very clean and all the loose paint removed. 600 grit paper down to the bare metal and then a coat of primer would be good so the new paint will adhere and not flake off again.

Richard Wasserman

http://www.richardwasserman.net

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you need to paint it and simply can't find a replacement plate I'd try "grill" paint. Grill paint is a high temp very durable paint used on Barbecue grills that has a finish similar to gun "blue." The reason I'd use this is because it's thin and wouldn't be so thick like normal paint to alter the clearance for the film. I used to rebuild / restore military type firearms and grill paint is a little known secret for and amazing finish that looks anodized yet it's just a spray can.
    ------------------------------------
    -Joe
    RB67, ETR, ETRS, F4, F5, FM3a, A1, AE1,
    Bronica-S, Mamiya-7, Yashica TLR, & many many Range finders
    ------------------------------------

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi, good advice already given. Sand perfectly smooth with 600-grit, feather the edges of chips, thinnest coats you can manage, gloss not matt if the film will touch it. One more thing. Many paints use solvents which could damage film/emulsion. (oh yes - and your lungs...)

So do the job away from where you keep your film, your children, your pets... and leave the camera open for at least a week before putting film in it to let solvents evaporate. The surface of the paint will feel dry in minutes but don't be tempted! It won't be fully cured for ages yet.

Haven't used grill paint myself but one Amazon reviewer claims to have painted a wood-burner a year ago and still smelling paint...

Good luck & happy holidays.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin