Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,878   Posts: 1,520,330   Online: 1228

Shooter
    35mm

Nikon F3 exposure lock button

Can anyone please shed any light on how to fit one? I bought an early body that has one missing, ordered up a replacement from Nikon Spares but am struggling with fitting it. The F3 repair manual which doesn't help a great deal & suggests that it should just push into place.

Once inserted & pressed, the exposure lock function works OK, but as soon as I tilt the camera, it slips straight back out. I have seen suggestions online to put a bit of glue on the end and that the early bodies need to be stripped down to fit it.

Can anyone shed any light?

Thanks.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    These were always a problem. Even after the modification - can't remember the year - they still fell out.

If you intend to use adhesive be careful to put it only on the end of the shaft, nothing on the sides. I'd be inclined to make a pocket in the end of the shaft to hold a blob of evo-stik. Insert, rotate, remove. Recoat the end of the shaft and insert again after 10 minutes. Or you could use silicone. Just be sure not to get any on the sides.

If your new button is the type with a groove around the middle of the shaft make sure the groove has no burrs.

Good luck.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the advice Unclemack. I will cross my fingers & reach for the glue.

Regards.

David.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin