Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,490   Online: 1030

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

replacing shutter cloth curtains

I've got 3 reflex korelle bodies, 1 is a suitable candidate for new shutter curtains so I took one of the parts bodies appart to figure out what I need to do if replacing the curtains in the good one, taking pictures along the way. It looks a bit of a fidly job but quite doable. Just wondered with the two metal strips on the edges of the curtains how other people remove them and if they make new (what appear to be thin) rivets?

Thankyou
    J Grainger
    Contax II
    Contaflex
    Bessa II
    Crown Graphic

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Micro-Tools sells material for shutter curtains. Very reasonable. Not sure about those metal edges. Perhaps, remove them carefully and then reuse them.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I've decided to order some material from Aki-Asahi but wondered how other people go on with the metal parts
    Contax II
    Contaflex
    Bessa II
    Crown Graphic

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In the Leica, the curtain material is simply wrapped around the metal section and sewn in place.
    It sounds as yours are crimped onto the material. I suspect that with time & patience you can spread the edges of the bar enough to remove/insert material. When it's reassembled it's going to have to be flat though.
    It may or may not be riveted. What you're looking at may be "teeth" to hold the material.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    thanks,
    I'll find a slim knife and have a go later on then
    Contax II
    Contaflex
    Bessa II
    Crown Graphic

Shooter
    35mm
    If there are rivets at the ends then it might make sense to drill them out first and then see what you are left with. The best method of separating the metal stays may then suggest itself - who knows, they may be much more cooperative once the rivets have been removed.

Good luck and keep us posted!

J

Quote Originally Posted by beautgrainger147 View Post
    thanks,
    I'll find a slim knife and have a go later on then

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can you post a picture of the strip/rivets/cloth? Actually, a flat-bed scanner can take a good picture of something like this with very little effort.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    They are infact rivets.. I slid a knife in and along and opened up the two halves of the bar enough to remove the curtain and carefully prized it open where the rivets are. When reassembling I'll push the 2 halves back together and lightly re-rivet it with the current rivets. The curtain and tapes are one with the window being a cutout, I'm not sure if this is original but it appears the tapes are also made of the dark cloth material on the better body which I've only had the film gate off. I'll put up some pictures in a couple of days. The shutters on mine (25-500th) just have a constant preload on the curtains with an adjustable slit to get the different speeds, it's pretty simple once all is revealed.

J Grainger
    Contax II
    Contaflex
    Bessa II
    Crown Graphic

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin