Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,596   Online: 843

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Spectrometer Camera

I am an archaeologist and I am interested chemistry of many things , for example mosaic tiles and their compositions. I need a spectrometer which will reveal the chemical composition of something . But even the smallest simplest precise one cost thousands.
    Astronomers makes such experiments but I dont know how. I need a analog and digital camera converted spectrometer. How can I do it ?

Thank you ,

Mustafa Umut Sarac

Istanbul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    What kind of spectroscopy do you want to do? Fluorescence, Raman, IR...?
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    If I am not wrong , Raman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There is a company called Kaiser optical which makes some handheld Raman units. Renishaw may have some options. I do not think Jobin Yvon does any supercompact stuff, at least they didn't last time I was there. They wanted to charge me thousands for a fiber head for my system. After I already paid $200k for the monochromator. I do admit that it is a Rolls Royce monochromator, but still...

Generally the best option balancing resolution and size is to get a larger single monochromator (460mm or so) for better resolution, and then get a probe head fitted to that. Altogether it shouldn't be hard to get a suitcase-sized system that gives you very good resolution.

If you try to build one yourself, the main cost will be the notch filter, which you need to filter out the excitation light. But I am sure that on a site like labx you can find used stuff going for peanuts.

I can easily imagine a pen-sized laser pointer/Raman system, but.... ultimately the spectral resolution is going to be proportional to the size of the thing. I mean, if the actual monochromator is handheld then you are going to get crap resolution unless you fold the beam very cleverly.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I had been thinked about laser pointer Raman system. If I am not wrong , you are saying smaller the size of the unit , less spectrum lines in the band , am I right ? I had had read something spectrum broadening with nonlinear erbium fiber , 1 meter cost 1400 dollar. Does it work with this problem or pointer with less than 1 meter fiber ?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin