Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,697   Posts: 1,549,081   Online: 1079

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Foamcore 8x10

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    What a fun project! Makes me wish I had a 14x17 film holder laying around here as I have a bunch of 14x17 x-ray film!

Vaughn

PS Our local hardware/lumber store has 4'x8' foam core -- stacked right along with the sound board and plywood.
    If you go with foamcore, I highly recommend black ultraboard....it has a plastic outer skin. White foamcore is not might tight unless it is painted.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Good suggestion, Mark.

I made an 11x14 pinhole camera once out of a cardboard box. I left it out on top of the student lockers, but someone must have used it to haul away their gear at the end of the semester!
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Fisher View Post
    White foamcore is not might tight unless it is painted.
    It isn't, and if you paint it paint both sides at the same time unless you are wanting it to be warped
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    I built my foamcore fresnel lens nested box camera from black foamcore board. It has black cardboard on both sides with black foam in between. The plastic-lined ultraboard refered to above may be more durable, but I don't know of a local supplier. Black foamcore board of the type I described is available from Hobby Lobby and Michael's.

Black gaffer's tape I get from a local film/video production supply house. About $20 per roll.

Here's the camera:

Here's a view through the removable viewfinder, which uses a sheet of translucent drafting vellum as a viewscreen:

(The digital camera was held upside down, to give a right-side-up image)

And an image, onto a paper negative. The plastic fresnel lens is stopped down to about 4mm:

Here's an article from my blog today about my process.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe VanCleave View Post
    And an image, onto a paper negative. The plastic fresnel lens is stopped down to about 4mm:

Here's an article from my blog today about my process.
    Nice results. Also, neat way of attaching the camera to a baseboard/tripod. I was trying to think of some way of doing that too

Yeah the white foamcore is indeed translucent, which I discovered to my annoyance after buying several large sheets of it. The black stuff is pretty opaque though. I -did- have to add extra light proofing along the edges though. Black craft paper does the job there (I've made bellows out of it before). My impromptu perspex focusing screen is proving pretty crappy though, very difficult to even make out the image on it, let alone focus properly. I'll have to come up with some alternative I think.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just as an update, cleared up some of the focusing issues and finally got a couple of shots that I'm happy with ...

My sister, who managed to stay a little more still for the 8 seconds exposure :-)

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Those are great portraits. I love the out-of-focus artifacts in both of these.

Remind me again, what kind of lens you are using. I like the look of it.

Are these paper negatives or from film?

Hope to see more soon.

~Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe VanCleave View Post
    Those are great portraits. I love the out-of-focus artifacts in both of these.

The lens is an Industar 37, a whopping €30 or so from some ukrainean Ebay seller. And all paper negatives, some Jessops RC multigrade that's been sitting in my press for about 2 years. Trying to source cheap X-Ray 8x10 film at the moment in Ireland, it's not looking good.

CBG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Very impressive.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Hi just a short n00b question, i am buying a Industar-37 on e*ay but i want to know if it's also good for landscape photography...or is it only portrait?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin