Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,705   Posts: 1,548,479   Online: 839

Shooter
    Multi Format

"Standard" Size for 4x5 Bellows

I'm building a couple of 4x5 cameras and I am looking for
    1. The dimensions of a "standard" square bellows for 4x5 monorail.
    2. The dimensions of a bellows for a 4x5 field camera like the Linhnof.

The length of the bellows is related to the focal length of the longest lens I want to use, but the opening sizes are the question.

I know there may not be something like a standard size, but some representative dimensions would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!
    Howard

The artist's world is limitless. It can be found anywhere, far from where he lives or a few feet away. It is always on his doorstep. - Paul Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you plan to use commercially available bellows I would suggest that you buy the ones you intend to use and build around them.
    Getting measures is all very good, but I find it a lot easier to have the thing that should fit when I build the thing to fit it to (hope that last sentence makes sense).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For a Grown Graphic,
    Front = ~3.75" sq
    Rear = ~5.25" sq Measured it out with a tape so it's not to the closest .0001
    If you build a straight bellows for 4X5, you can use the 5.25" front + rear.
    A very common lensboard size was 4X4"and 6X6". If you aim for the larger size board, work that into your bellows calcs.
    Last edited by John Koehrer; 01-26-2010 at 01:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks guys.

I'm going to make the bellows myself (I know, masochist ) and that is why I was curious about the sizes. I plan on using a linhof wista lensboard so I'm waiting until I get it to finalize the dimensions. The plan is to make a film back that can be used in either the field camera or the monorail, and use the same lensboard for both also. The rear frame can be the same dimensions for both cameras, and the front frames will differ.
    Howard

The artist's world is limitless. It can be found anywhere, far from where he lives or a few feet away. It is always on his doorstep. - Paul Strand

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin