Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,955   Posts: 1,522,808   Online: 974

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

film advance and spacing

General question here. In building a medium-format camera on one's own, the most obvious answer to frame spacing is "use a red window".

If a person would rather have a reliable wind-on lever/knob for spacing, where to start? Scavenging the mechanism from a defunct camera is one option. Are there any achievable-without-a-major-industrial-process ways of building one yourself? I can think of a few different ways to implement the decrease in amount of wind-on needed from the start of the roll to the end but none that are that great. I'm apparently not the only one, since so many early cameras have problems with this.
    -brian hayden
    http://fed-2.org

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I believe many cameras use a roller alongside the film gate to meter the film travel, that eliminates the changing spool diameter problem. It does, of course, add some more mechanics.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd use a dark green window for B&W film.
    Otherwise, why not just build the camera around an old Graflex (or any brand) 6x7 or 6x9 rollfilm back. It will have the wind mechanism, counter and pressure plate built in.

Shooter
    35mm
    If I was building a MF camera and wanted to have a film advance mechanism, I'd use a roller on the film attached to a quadrature encoder driving a small electronic circuit controlling a clutch in the wind mechanism. But I am an electric engineer and I prefer to do things electronically (despite owning a CNC mill... ;-))

I have to warn you though, unless you are building a highly specialized camera (such as extreme pano or rotating), it will likely cost you A LOT more money to build one then to buy a good used one, so I hope you are not doing it to save money...
    Sorin

__________________________________________________ __________________________________
    Frugal Sorin Blog - Last article : light proof material (for darkroom, changing bag, focusing cloth,etc)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Build in a Grafloc and use an RB67 back, problem is solved.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin