Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,939   Online: 788

Shooter
    Medium Format

rubber lens hoods

Rubber lens hoods

I am not quite sure where to post this but I’ll try repair. I use collapsible rubber lens hoods on my lenses. It ‘s good physical protection as well as a sunshade. Working with short zooms on the wide angle setting I collapse the shade. But eventually the continued working of the shade causes the rubber to wear and crack. Years ago when I worked in a printing plant the pressmen used s solution to rejuvenate the rubber rollers. And it extended their life, On a four color press there are a lot of rollers and they represent a considerable amount of money. So keeping them in good working condition was vital. The stuff came in one gallons cans and smelled to high heaven , but kept the roller soft and unglazed. I just wonder if anyone has ever used something similar to keep rubber pliable in reasonable sizes.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Rubber lens hoods are cheap enough to replace every 30 years whether they need to be or not. :0

Seriously, my hoods seem to last a very long time without any problems. When they shoiw signs of deterioration, I buy a new one for $10. At that price, a ten year rental is a buck a year, very low overhead I'd say.

I'll bet that solution is a petrolium based oil that will swell the rubber. If it stinks that much, I doubt you'd want to use it on your camera... ah that fresh outdoors aroma of the New Jersey Turnpike.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I believe there are products, as you describe, that will help prolong the life of rubber if used periodically from the start. However, despite claims, I've never found anything that will actually rejuvenate old rubber once it has become deteriorated. Best solution I believe, as mentioned, is get a new one.

Now if you want to give a try, I participate in a vintage motorcycle forum and this comes up quite regularly as you might imagine. Some 'claim' success using wintergreen oil. Good luck with it, let us know how it goes.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is one, called Rubber Renue.
    http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/408b.html it does smell, zylenes and acetone.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Uh, Armor-All?
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you go to automotive stores there are all kinds of rubber restorer. I have a can of silicone spray that works well for restoring surfaces. Once rubber gets to a point where it is cracking and weakening, there is nothing you can do. Unless you have the "stuff" already, I really think it's your best option to purchase the new hood.
    Last edited by tkamiya; 02-06-2010 at 10:39 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With the price of rubber lens hoods being so low, why would you want to subject yourself and equiptment to chemical fumes. You will probably spend more to treat them than to just buy a new one every 10-20 years. My cheapest hood finally tore after 25 years, I think I paid five or six bucks for it back then. I just looked at my 20+ year old Tiffen hoods, and they are still in great shape.

Sounds like a case of tripping over dollars to pick up a nickel.

Rick

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin