Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,914   Posts: 1,584,712   Online: 795

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Loose focusing ring on a Rollei 35 S

I just acquired a Rollei 35 S and the focusing ring is loose and when I turn it the lens does not rotate unless I squeeze the ring to apply pressure the lens assembly. How is the focusing ring attached to the lens assembly? Thanks, John
    www.TimeFreezePhotos.com

"Accept the fact that some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    See if there's a (small) setscrew in the side of the ring.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    See if there's a (small) setscrew in the side of the ring.
    Yes, I checked there are no screws or screw holes.

Thanks,
    John
    www.TimeFreezePhotos.com

"Accept the fact that some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It's been 15 years or more since I saw one of these and my memory isn't what it was... but if the S was the version with the 40/2.8 Sonnar I think I remember that the front bezel is removed and behind it is a clamping ring with (3?) small screws - loosen screws, adjust infinity setting, tighten screws.
    A focus screen on the film rails can be used to determine infinity focus of the lens, in this position move focus ring to inf. stop & tighten clamp.
    I'm fairly sure some models of the 35 did have a tiny grub screw or 3 in the edge of the focus ring though to lock it to the lens.
    I can't remember whether the bezel is screwed in or not but I don't think so.
    It may have clicked into place with barb-locks or have been fixed with adhesive, or both.
    Sorry I can't offer any real advice on this one... except to say it's a very nice lens and I would send it to a Rollei repairer rather than risk DIY - it shouldn't cost much if this is the only fault.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi, just found this:

http://rapidshare.com/files/26058675...ice_Manual.pdf | 8697 KB

Hope it helps!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks unclemack for your reply. I have the repair manual and gives all of the exploded views but very little step by step instruction. The bexel is loose and I removed it. I tightened the 3 screws but that didn't help. I was going to remove the screws but I was afraid that I might make matters worse ( a common result of my camera repair efforts ). Even though the shutter speeds all sound good, the camera could probably use a CLA. I think the prudent thing to do is to send it to someone who knows what they are doing and have the camera working like new. Thanks again for your input. John
    www.TimeFreezePhotos.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin