Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,729   Posts: 1,515,221   Online: 964

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have used the loop side of velcro tape on a few of these, and on the camera back where they slide in as well. When I did it I was warned by a very knowledgeable member here (Ole) that the Velcro might shed particles into the film holders, but it hasn't happened yet. I must admit that I don't shoot 9x12 all that often so, ... take this advice with a grain of salt.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you can't find velvet ribbon, maybe try a strip of real velvet fabric. (My instinct tells me that what's being sold as "velvet ribbon" these days probably just has some fluffed-up felty stuff on it.) Good luck!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Velvet ribbon I bought is genuine velvet but the pile isn't deep enough, I have some real velvet but it's been used as a dark-cloth for over 30 years so is too worn and prone to coming to bits

It's a case of keeping looking.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    The medium format Horseman cameras used a light trap of thin black nylon over foam. I plan to try the velvet cloth over foam when I get a chance. I believe a prior post has suggested the same.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I have finally received my 7mm velvet (nylon) ribbon from the Ribbon Company here in the UK. The groove where it goes in the plate holder is very shallow, the 7mm width is perfect and its thickness (or thinness, it is only 2-3mm) is also perfect for the Thornton-Pickard. I attached it with double sided tape and it all work perfectly now. FWW to anyone else

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm making the rear standard for my new 9x12 camera to accept 'standard' 9x12 plate holders. I had figured that routing a channel to accept the velvet cloth (cut to the appropriate size) would be OK. Should I be considering mounting that on to something else first, rather than just glueing it direct to the wood?

I was also going to use 3M Photo Spray to secure it - or would something else be better?

Cheers,
    David.
    Creative Image Maker e-magazine is back! Find out more at http://creativeimagemaker.blogspot.com

Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wobsy View Post
    I have finally received my 7mm velvet (nylon) ribbon from the Ribbon Company here in the UK. The groove where it goes in the plate holder is very shallow, the 7mm width is perfect and its thickness (or thinness, it is only 2-3mm) is also perfect for the Thornton-Pickard. I attached it with double sided tape and it all work perfectly now. FWW to anyone else
    Where can it be bought from ?

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was also going to use 3M Photo Spray to secure it - or would something else be better?
    I don't know if it's available on that side of the pond, but 3M "77" adhesive spray is far more permanent than the photo spray. I'd use contact cement or "Pliobond" myself. (I don't actually know of this distributer, I just Googled the name of the glue and that one came up as a seller of small quantities.)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Pliobond is indeed great stuff for this type of thing, even if it does stink to high heaven. There are at least three types (smooth surface, porous surface, and high temperature) and all are available in small quantities from McMaster-Carr.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Light Trap Material

Alas, Boeing Surplus is no more.

However, over the 40 or so years I suffered from a serious addiction to the place, I amassed a fair horde of "might use this someday" stuff. I have a roll of 1/4 inch wide fabric material which has a fuzzy side. See picture. I have used this stuff in many ways, including light seals on doors, dark slide light traps in some of my homemade cameras, etc. I suspect it might be somewhat better than ordinary velvet ribbon for a lot of photographic purposes, because the furry side is very dense plushy stuff. It's very substantial. If you'd like to see a sample, pm me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails light-trap-material.jpg  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin