Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,523,982   Online: 852

Thread: RB67 loose foam

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

RB67 loose foam

I just received a RB67 and when I took the lens off to inspect it a piece of foam fell out. I'm trying to figure out where it went. It is about 1/4" square and 1" or so long. It looks like a lighter weight foam then they use on the light seals. Any one know where it might go?

Thanks
    Chris

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The diagrams here might help you identify it.

http://aki-asahi.com/store/html/Mami...seal/index.php

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks,

Unfortunately it is the one piece of foam they don't include in that kit or recommend you replace. I think I will try a roll of film without it and if it is a problem I will try some of my foam.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Cock the shutter and remove the lens. With the back off and in a dark bathroom shine a strong flashlight through the front and see if any light is leaking out the back of the camera. If not you are good to go since no light will reach the unexposed film when the shutter is cocked. If you see any light let me know and i can lead you through the next phase. Replacing the foam.
    Arthur

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi Chris, do what Arthur said.
    On the lower front edge of the mirror is a piece around 65 x 6 x 6mm.
    Where the front corners of the mirror would hit when the mirror lifts there is a bump-stop either side around 10 x 8 x 6.
    Between the side panels and the frame there are a few pieces around 25 x 5 x 5. The cut-outs in the left of the mirror box for the mirror/baffle levers could allow one of these to find its way into the mirror box.
    The pieces either side of the mirror are thinner.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't see any light leaking from the back. I can see where the foam used to be on the lower front edge of the mirror. The bump stops are still in place. As are the strips along the edges of the mirror.

Chris

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If there are pieces falling out, then it's time to replace the foam. It may not be leaking but your mirror is bumping harder n traveling too far as well as causing vibrations on the up swing.

You can get a DIY self stick foam kit from the fellow on E-bay Mr Goodman. I'm sure someone will direct you to him. It is so simple to do and so cheap it is worth giving a try, even if you have never done anything like this before. You'll aslo develope a bond to your camera making it that much more like a family member.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi Chris,
    I guess you already worked this out for yourself but the missing foam is to keep the baffle from hitting the mirror carrier when they both lift. Risky to use the camera until it's replaced.
    Coincidentally I saw for the first time on eVilbay today a listing for this foam & the mirror buffer 2 foams. Maybe the seller's WATCHING US!!!?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mamiya-RB67-Pr...item2558ffdeef

I thought $8 inc. postage was expensive for 3 small pieces of foam but I suppose the time it saves may be worth the money.
    Hope this helps.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just ordered the kit. The foam I've used on other cameras is a little more dense than the original. Hopefully the kit will be better.

Chris

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin