Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,580   Online: 971

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shutter cloth

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Clarence, I was looking at Piano cloth, what's it normally used for ? I just checked the price of the BK5 and it's very reasonable

The acrylic paint I used soaks into the cloths and makes them fully light-tight, yet flexible so let me know what you think when you have everything at hand.

Thanks
    Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'm refurbishing some TP shutters with the Thorlabs BK5 cloth. I think it'll work just fine without any further light proofing, but I figure it's no big deal to paint on the Golden Carbon Black Acrylic paint/water mixture (2+1) I use for bellows repair and touching up Speed Graphic shutters, if needed. Clarence--please let us know about your evaluations--thanks.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Hello All,

It may take a while, but I will write up my findings. Barry, is this the paint you mean?

http://www.danielsmith.com/Item--i-100-170-003

What other coatings are people using?

Cheers,
    Clarence

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've been using the thicker paint in a 4 oz tube, but the liquid acrylic version should work fine and it probably doesn't need to be diluted as much with water.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The acrylic paint I use sounds the same as Barry's, I don't let it build up on the outside of the cloth rather just in it, it's also excellent for bellows repair. I used some black self adhesive mending cloth on the outside of some badly rotted Graphic bellows, it's so thin than it's almost invisible I'll find the name & make when I'm next in the UK.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A few years ago (maybe 10?) I bought a roll of shutter cloth, exactly the right stuff - just like the Thornton Picard original - from 'Camera Bellows' in Birmingham (England!). I don't recall it was so very expensive, either. I still have a fair bit of it left.

HTH

Steve
    Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Clarence - How did you make out with your evaluation of the various cloths? If there is any news then I am sure we would all be glad to hear. The long NT winter is coming - perfect for writing up a summary!

Best,
    J

Quote Originally Posted by CRhymer View Post
    Hello All,
    It may take a while, but I will write up my findings. Barry, is this the paint you mean?
    http://www.danielsmith.com/Item--i-100-170-003
    What other coatings are people using?
    Cheers,
    Clarence

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin