Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,694   Posts: 1,549,021   Online: 915

Shooter
    Large Format

Off topic: tool chest drawers that stick

A little off topic, but we all have someplace where we need to keep hand tools for our tinkering. I have a tool chest with "I" shaped drawer slides. Alas, they're not the ball bearing type. The drawers are far from overloaded with a lot of weight, but they're sticking more and more as they're opened and closed. I'm thinking they need to be re-lubricated with something. Wax? Silicone? What do 'yall use?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    WD-40 (My dad's answer to anything that doesnt move that is supposed to)
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    These type of drawer slides geneerally can be lifted and the drawer removed completely from the cabinet to give access the the surfaces that make contact. Clean the slides and apply a little coating of petroleum jelly ("Vaseline"). That should do the trick.

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    To get the draw out, when the draw stops, push a small screwdriver in the slot where a small metal tang is that hits the indent. Do it on each side. Once the tang goes under that traingualr indent it will come right out. Then use some light grease and it will be good for another 30 years.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Wax or real grease (red, white lithium) I like wax since it is clean and doesn't attract dirt.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Candle wax. They also make Teflon tape you can line it with, but wax will work just as well.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin