Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,580   Online: 1103

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Thin copper strip came out of ETRSi film back...

When cleaning my camera today I removed the darkslide to clean around that area and placed it back in the slot as normal afterwards, I then removed the film back from the camera body and I saw this thin copper-looking strip protruding from the area in front of the darkslide. Was this a light-seal? Did I just ruin the film back?

Has anyone seen this before? If so, how do I fix it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5H8T3756.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Probably a shim or part of the light trap. Open her up n put it back.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I tried getting it back in there, but I'm having a heck of a time doing it. Doesn't seem to go back in easily.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I managed to disassemble the whole thing, got the copper strip back into where I think it came from, reassembled the back, put the darkslide in and... whoops, came right back out again! I hope this isn't something that will ruin my film, I'm going to try a roll today to see how it goes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    'Blad backs have something like that in them: it is affixed to the back of a strip of velvet that then opposes a strip of bent flocked mylar. See if you are missing some part of the light trap that may have been holding the spring strip in place. The strip should be springy if it is part of the light trap and made from beryllium copper.

The strip also looks like it has been bent - it should have a uniform triangular cross section along its length with no dimples or creases.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you can't fix it, get another back from KEH. They have 220 backs cheap, and the inserts are interchangeable, so if you want to use 120 just switch inserts. Whether a back is a 120 or 220 depends entirely on which insert is in it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok Well thank you for the information. I shot a roll today and I'm going to have it processed, any light leaks will be pretty clear. So hopefully it's not going to be a problem, but I'll just have to keep an eye out for spare backs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Even cheaper if you need parts would be an "as is" back from KEH
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    Even cheaper if you need parts would be an "as is" back from KEH
    True. BGN grade 220 backs are as little as $15, and I've found as-is backs, 120 or 220, for a buck or so.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin