Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,933   Posts: 1,522,242   Online: 1028

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I realize they aren't the same thing, but.... shooting with old lenses and shooting with intentionally degraded modern lenses are also not the same thing Anyway, go ahead with your plans and let us see how it works out!
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    I realize they aren't the same thing, but.... shooting with old lenses and shooting with intentionally degraded modern lenses are also not the same thing Anyway, go ahead with your plans and let us see how it works out!
    Yeah, unfortunately. I bought a lot of old Styli on ebay, so I'll experiment a little.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To get the "uncoated" look with a modern lens, are you going to disassemble a lens to polish all the elements? I dont think you can just clear the coating from the front element only to attain the look you are after. How about choice of film combined with printing method and paper selection to get there. I've been using enlarging lenses from the 50's as an aid to my style of printing, along with cameras and lenses from the era. IMO, to get the look you want, you will have to do the same thing. Pick a film, lens, paper combo, and experiment until you hit the set-up that works for you.

Rick

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I was planning on front and back, and see what happens then. Film, paper, and developer have nothing to do with this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Adox/efke films together with adox APH 09 will help you also, imho.

Shooter
    35mm
    With uncoated lenses, increasing the number of glass-to-air surfaces increases the amount of flare, resulting in a decrease in contrast. Before taking the extreme step of polishing away the coatings, you could try inducing more flare. Maybe you could attach some plain optical glass filters to increase the number of glass-to-air surfaces. You may need to use larger filters and a step-up ring to minimize vignetting. Perhaps a polished metal or aluminum foil lined lens hood would also increase the level of flare.

Shooter
    Large Format
    look for an old lens, i recently found boyer lenses, low contrast is great.

buy old buddy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That special Channel is called flare

You might just try adding some (2-3) older uncoated filters UV etc

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try working on lighting first. Then see what noticeable difference, if any, a lens makes in comparison.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    The internal surfaces of the lens barrel and the edges of the lens elements are darkened to reduce reflections and improve contrast. Surfaces may be painted or lined with black flocking material. If you decide to experiment on a sacrificial SLR lens, try repainting the internal surfaces of the lens barrel white and/or removing the darkening from the edges of the lens elements. You could do this in stages to see the effect on contrast until you reach the desired effect. If this doesn't give you what you want, you could then try removing the coating from the lens.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin