Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,215   Online: 784

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

Reducing Lens Contrast

I would like to try to "de-modernize" some modern lenses to give them a more gentle contrast without really sacrificing on detail. I've read threads about using toothpaste or cigarette ash to grind away the coatings, and I tried it it once with no success. Are there other options to remove modern coatings? I don't mind taking some risks, as I'm only doing this to junk cameras for now (ex: original Olympus Stylus). Thanks.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Cerium oxide is used to polish glass & will remove coating - aluminium oxide is used by some to make GG's if you want even softer.
    You could of course do the same to a filter.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks. Is the cerium oxide common in hardware stores, or will I likely have to order it?

I don't see how altering a filter would do what I want. I'm not going for a soft focus effect, but rather a less modern look.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Why not just use an older lens.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    Why not just use an older lens.
    Oh I do! I need pocket af cameras for certain purposes (beach, drunken nights out, clandestine shots, etc...)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why not soften a filter, and save the lens. That way, if you make a mistake, its easy(and cheaper)to remedy.

Rick

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Again, not going for soft focus.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How about making your own? Take a look at:

http://scientificsonline.com/

They have lenses for you to experement with.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cbphoto View Post
    Oh I do! I need pocket af cameras for certain purposes (beach, drunken nights out, clandestine shots, etc...)
    Okay. Are you printing optically? If so then perhaps you can produce the desired effects by using a not-so-optimal lens or printing through plastic or such.

The other thing that comes to mind is that if you only want lower contrast, you might just adjust your exposure and/or dev times.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I am printing optically. Lens contrast and printing contrast are not the same. If so, nobody would shoot old Leica lenses (like I do). There a special look that you get when shooting old lenses that has to do with the way light is channeled to the film and cannot really be recreated with filters or printing. Now I know I can't turn a Stylus lens into a Summarit, but I don't want to be on the far opposite end (modern cold look).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin