Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,976   Posts: 1,523,648   Online: 1097

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For reasons best known to myself, I wanted a 'landscape' camera (as opposed to a vertical, portrait, camera). So, yep, rise and fall on the horizontal plane.
    Creative Image Maker e-magazine is back! Find out more at http://creativeimagemaker.blogspot.com

Thank you.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Coming along very well indeed, David. I had toyed with the idea of a sliding box camera before landing Erie's homemade 4x5. I might have to revisit it at some point as my brother in law works with wood when he's not tying flies. For me.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Chris, hope all is well with you and the family.

Yep, it's coming along, next tasks are to cut the lens panel and build the baseboard. I'm torn between cutting the hole for the Kodak 105mm lens off of the 620 folder, or hanging on and getting some old brass lens... somehow, it just doesn't look right with the Kodak on it ;0)

And for my piece-de-resistance, I've just made a piston (toying with the idea of making a pneumatic shutter) - pictures later...

Last edited by vickersdc; 04-15-2010 at 12:56 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Later came, and I added the picture.
    Creative Image Maker e-magazine is back! Find out more at http://creativeimagemaker.blogspot.com

Thank you.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My Dad was a machinist by trade. Learned it in the Navy aboard the USS Orion (AS18). Did it for 41 years. Nice milling on that piece. I think he would have been proud. And, yes, I think an old brassy would look good on the front. No, not a 2-wood.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Any update on this project? I sure would like to see the completed camera!

Jon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Very impressive. I wish I could do that.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vickersdc View Post
    However, you can have a slightly sloppy fit and then use felt on the inside walls of the front standard if you want.
    I bid on a custom made 11x14 box camera (didn't win.. was quite expensive) that was more than sloppy. It was outright loose. But whoever made it put like an o-ring kind of seal between the two layers. Actually this was done in two parts on the camera allowing someone to get a closeup shot. Anyway, the seal (which was some kind of oiled felt or something fibrous) allowed enough movement while still providing light tightness, and that gave that box camera swing and tilt. Perhaps four brass screws could be used, one at each corner to adjust swing and tilt. Just an idea! I love this camera you built. I just got a Voigtlander Avus 9x12 and saw your post and now I'll be watching it for further progress. Thanks for sharing these inspirational photographs!
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    @Perry Wey: Interesting idea - tilt & swing on a box camera!

There'll be more photos along very shortly; after having to take just over a week off from the workshop projects due to some papers that I had to write, I've been able to get back in the workshop again. The camera is now in a 'finished' state (I still have to take it apart to give it a final sand, then polish). However, it is ostensibly completed - and I've got the photos to prove it!

Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's the first of the next bunch of photos!

It's the underside of the base board for the camera, 16cm square and 9mm thick (apart from the central piece which is 6mm thick). All pieces are jointed by mortice & tenon joints.

The slot cut in will be used for the focus lock. You can see the modified pan head screw - flats cut on either side - to ensure it doesn't turn when tightening / loosening the focus lock. Brass knob made by me too.

Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So here it is...

...my home-made 9x12 sliding box camera is almost complete (just needs a final sand and a coat of something to protect the wood, as well as blacking out the interior).

The lens isn't what I actually want to fit - I'd like an old brass lens, but I don't have one! In the meantime, this old Kodak 105mm will have to do.

The 9x12 slide-in ground glass screen can be easily removed to fit the plate holders.

Here you can see the front panel rise movement.

Looking forward to taking some shots with this... before moving on to the next one, as this was only ever a prototype camera.

Thank you.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin